PDA

View Full Version : Email/Virus: Norton Antivirus/Firewall 2003

Petra
16-11-2002, 05:23 PM
I run Windows Professional, Norton Anitvirus/Firewall 2003.

Norton is set to update daily.

By chance did a live update, manually 4 days ago. The visus definitions were unable to install. Message: verify proxy server setting in live update. Checked to see how long since fully updated - 2 days.

I receive a lot of email attachments - work, all over the world, I receive a lot of virus - could be up to 7 per day. Usually no problem, only open word.doc, save zip, virus check first. Norton picks up the rest.

Yesterday received word doc, applicant resume. Worked, closed down. On restarting the machine, Norton kicked in to say that it had picked up x 3 virus on system. When I checked history file Norton, turned out to be 3 x W32.Brid.A@mm in settings temp folder. This thing is triggered by a certain event.

I happened to remember which resume I had opened 3 times yesterday yesterday. When I isolated it on my files, the word doc had turned into an internet site - file designated with large E.

I deleted it off my system, I ran virus scan, I went thru to Trend Micro ran housecall, I went to Symantec scan off site, everything says clean.

I still cannot install virus definitions. I cannot reset my computer to a previous time. I've tried to reset to 6 different days to overcome. I don't think that my machine is clean.

The vius definitions for the bug above, Symantec tells me, is new - within the last days, which I haven't been able to install. Symantec site tells me how to get it off my system, but I've never been in 'save' in Professional. In any event, I'm not sure if it's the only thing wrong with my machine.

A lot of my virus is malicious. I receive a lot of bogus applicant resumes, a lot of nasty intentional virus.

I'm pretty sure that my Live Up date has been disabled. Yesterday the new virus arrived. And I can't reset my computer to a previous time.

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks

Yesterday

godfather
16-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Petra, the first thing I would do, would be an on-line scan using something like Housecall, at this site (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

Viruses can, and do shut down antivirus software, so the on-line scan will be a good test.

Babe Ruth
16-11-2002, 07:25 PM
Petra, Have you followed the instructions from the Symantec site to deal with removing this virus. Information is W32.Brid_Virus (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.brid.a@mm.html)

Babe.

Petra
17-11-2002, 03:40 PM
Thank you darling, but if you read my rantings, you will find that it was one of the things which I did.

love XXX

Petra
17-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Thank you very much.

If you read my rantings, you will see that I did do that. It tells me to go into safe mode. I don't know/don't feel secure enough to do that on Professional. This thing affects DOS.

Really, thanks.

godfather
17-11-2002, 03:55 PM
There is no DOS in XP....only a DOS "emulator" under Windows.
XP is the first Windows to be DOS free

godfather
17-11-2002, 04:03 PM
And sorry for not spotting that you had done that - short attention span... :)

Petra
17-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Thank you.

In which case my machine is clean of virus.

Now I only have two configurations to deal with.

The block on my live update virus definitions, am wide open for the next one.

And for some reason I cannot system restore anymore.

Petra
17-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Oh, I'm grateful for any help I can get. It's very nice of you.

Am quite frightened, and not sure how I'm going to work tomorrow at the moment.

Presently accessing thru my provider, can't do that forever.