PDA

View Full Version : Linux HDD setup

nz_liam
16-11-2002, 04:34 PM
I run Win XP and RedHat 7.3 and would like to try and use Wine to run some of my windows apps (Mainly Macromedia Dreamweaver & MYOB First Accounts).

However RedHat isint configured to automaticly mount my windows partition (hda1), how would I do this ?:|

Cheers

Liam

future
16-11-2002, 05:47 PM
Just learning myself try this

mount -t xxxx hda1 where

xxxx=file type [fat,vfat,ntfs.....]
where= where you want the hd mounted

I tried this myself [unsuccesfully, RedHat didn't want to play with NTFS]

sorry I can't be more helpful

segfault
16-11-2002, 08:33 PM
One thing to note is that if your windows partition is ntfs, you will only be able to mount it read-only.

future
16-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Why Can't they play nicely together? There must be a way around it somewhere but I don't know where to look.

Graham L
17-11-2002, 03:12 PM
First (as root) make a mount point: mkdir /Windos. Then, the mount command to try would be mount -t auto -o ro /dev/hda1 /Windos

Depending on your version, you may have a filesystem handler for NTFS. The early versions of that come with a strongly recommendation to use the Linux acces only for reading. That's a reasonable precaution. It's aklways dangerous to fiddle*(by writing) the directories of a not fully documented file system.If you haven't got the driver, use "ntfs linux" and that should find it for you.

future
17-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Aha That' how you do it.
Didn't work but!! "ntfs type not supported by kernel" but I see all the info and downloads at the linux-NTFS homepage. thanks
How do the Corporations do it then? Or do they just use FAT32 to create shares?. By the Way Graeme do you have any pointers as to good tutorials on RH8.0 or Linux in General? I see many tutorials if I do a google and I could spend a lot of time checking them out but in your experience [I am assuming you have more than I {1 weeks worth}] can you recommend something for the Linux newbie?

Cheers Future

aperahama
17-11-2002, 10:09 PM
The "RUTE" manual is a good source of info for Linux. You may have it already on the Red Hat CD, (it comes on the Mandrake 9.0 cd). Use your software manager program to see if have it or not.