PDA

View Full Version : re xtra

lojos_
16-11-2002, 12:39 PM
I have Xtra as my ISP. Why every night after 5.oo pm can I not use the internet. I believe it is because it is so busy. Any answers please/

rmcb
16-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Yeah you are most likely correct
Why not try a different Isp?
There are better deals around, have a look at www.consumer.org.nz

godfather
16-11-2002, 01:12 PM
All ISPs suffer at some time with unavailability. As each one provedes more resources they get better, meanwhile it happens to another one.

Its the growth of the technology, and from 5 onwards people are getting home and checking e-mail. At bad times you will see it from 3 onward as children get home from school.

Changing ISP will not neccesarily help as the new one could go through the same phase.

I noticed it a bit on Xtra, worse on some others. I am on Jetstream now, and its never turned off so its always available

Baldy
16-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Whereabouts do you live lojos?

I am in Tropical Dunedin and have NEVER had any probs connecting with Xtra. Even at the busy times you mentioned.

I would be inclined to ring the Xtra help desk. It may be something to do with your settings.

BALDY:-)

Iris
16-11-2002, 04:24 PM
We are out in the country, with telephone lines that are so ancient it isn't funny, but we seldom have trouble with xtra.

Must admit we did when we first got computer but also had a noisy phone line which Telecom came out promptly and fixed (no charge) and all has been sweet ever since (at this point should I x fingers and/or touch wood?)

Iris

crummy
16-11-2002, 04:32 PM
yeah, same here in fact. im in rural marlborough and i just seem to get disconnected every 3 hours or so... but after 5 its just normal, same as after 5am.

i think its coz way the hell out here theres not that many people to fill up the exchange (or whatever 56k's work on) so we dont notice it.

Heather J
17-11-2002, 07:03 AM
We are also 'in the back of beyond' with an old exchange and have no problem with Xtra. When my Mum and Dad, who live right in the middle of a city up north, were learning about the internet, we would talk on cellphones (thanks goodness for our 'free minutes' plan) they have a computer twice as fast as mine, but the webpages seemed to load slower than mine. Interesting!