PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream query

Lohsing
15-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Hey guys,

Am going to be moving to a flat shortly, but another guy in it is keen to retain dialup for his internet connection.... my question is that if I were to purchase jetstream for myself, would we be able to use the same phone lines?? Like I leave jetstream running on my PC, and he dials in using the same phone line to his laptop??

Otherwise, I'll have to consider other options... maybe Walker Wireless?? What's that like for gaming?? I guess Jetstream is the way to go because it's full speed and unltd for gaming in NZ...??

Thoughts and comments welcomed!

Lo.

Falcdragon
15-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Yes you should be able to connect with a 56K and jetstream at the same time.

nz_liam
15-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Here's the deal, yes you can use jetstream and normal dialup modems on the same line, however the speed on your dialup modem will be degraded (slower :_|) because of the splitter & the way jetstream shares a single line.

Cheers

Liam

Lohsing
15-11-2002, 08:06 PM
hehe... Oh well, as long as my jetstream is unimpeded I'm not too fussed... I can tell him it's because of the central area we are in... ]:)

Then again... that would be rather un-nice... :8} and completely out of character! ;\

let me sleep on it... ;)

Lo.

csinclair83
15-11-2002, 08:09 PM
my mate had the same problem himself..
they had the dialup and jetstreem on same line and the dialup was like half the usual speed it had b4 jetstream came in..
So what he did was, got another line lol...and had jetstream and the phone running off 1 line (as u can use phone same time as the net) and having the 56k running 24/7 off the other line..
and they shared the costs between eachother..

This is a idea..but..financially for heaps of people..not reasonable..

Wouldnt jetstream over a network be much different than 56k/jetstream sharing the line? (i dont know much about networking so i dont really have a clue about this..was just hinting a idea)

Lohsing
15-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Yeah I guess... but he accesses the net via a laptop, so a network card for that would be much more expensive...

csinclair83
15-11-2002, 08:28 PM
ahhh yeah network card hmmm
U could go wireless.but thats gonna cost u too..so its either u going wireless and pay..or him going networking and paying for the card..

and while we in here...mum wants 2 get a caravan (mentioned this 2 me today) for me...like as a "extra bedroom" and i thought sounds cool since i'd get my own space and all :D but jetstream....i have like a 20metre extension phone cord...but...at night, dew, cold...wouldnt that wreck the line or anything?if yes..would i need a pipe or something and have it in that? or slow the connection down?

(i'd still have to think about this for a 56k modem neway..its just a faster connection thats gonna be different)