PDA

View Full Version : ISP Sending and Receiving Data Delays and Hangups

08-10-1999, 05:00 PM
Dear F1

Over the last two months I have been having the most terrible time sending and receiving data when connected to the internet. Prior to this I was surfing happily with no problems. The root of the problem seems to be receiving data (anything from a web page to e-mail to file downloads). What happens is this: My computer starts getting the data fine then it stops sending or receiving and sits idle for anything up to about 40 seconds or more then suddenly off it goes again bringing down the data for a short time somtimes as little as a few seconds then it stops again. This goes on and on the whole time I am online. Then there are the mysterious hangups. Sometimes without warning the connection gets broken. I get no warning or notification that it has lost the connection. Then I have to redial to carry on. Needless to say it has become such a problem I no longer enjoy using the internet as it is too frustratingly slow. For example I downloaded a 1.9Mb virus definition file and it took nearly 2 hours and disconnected 3 times.
My first reaction was to phone my ISP. They ran me through all the typical connection menus and setups but nothing helped. Then they checked and told me that all was well at their end.
I phoned Telecom and they did a line test. The results were excellent. The telecom operator said that she had never seen such good results.
I recently upgraded from a 33.6K Dynalink modem to a 56K Dynalink modem and the 56K was working fine for atleast a month before the trouble started. I tried swapping back to the 33.6K modem but that didn't help the 33.6K had the same problems. I am using the latest firmware and software for the modem and no modem settings have helped
My ISP, while they are concerned that a customer is having so many problems, say they don't know what to do or how to fix it.
I am using a Dynalink V1456VQE modem and IE 5.00 on a Pentium 233.
Does anyone know what is happening here and how to fix it?