PDA

View Full Version : wcmd.exe - what is this?

ljhnz
15-11-2002, 07:40 AM
Hi everyone
This app tries to connect to the internet when I go online - wcmd manager - zone alarm asks permission - I've checked for viruses (Norton 2002, sig. files all up to date) - all clear,and searched on Google for clues without luck.
A search of the computer shows a mix of wcmd files sitting in the windows folder - anyone got any ideas?
Cheers
Lynne

Terry Porritt
15-11-2002, 08:00 AM
One of the Linux gurus may be able to tell you. But its possible these programs are associated with Wine, a MS Windows emulator. Or again they may not. Try looking at their properties from right click, to get an idea where they are from.

Cheers

John Grieve
15-11-2002, 08:47 AM
It appears to be something to do with WINE. Why its trying to get online is a mystery. Maybe some sort of autoupdate?

"Wcmd can be built as a Wine binary, or (using a Win32 compiler) as a Win32 .EXE
image. The Wine binary is simpler to invoke from the U**x command line or from
a GUI such as KDE, however it is not possible to invoke a second shell using the
"WCMD /C filename" syntax. Conversely a Win32 application can be invoked from a
Win32 GUI such as Program Manager but that needs starting under Wine first."

Mary H
15-11-2002, 10:58 AM
This from Pacs Portal (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm#W):
"wcmdmgr.exe: It will periodically contact WildTangent (http://www.wildtangent.com/) servers to see if an update is available for your system and allows us to make the product exceptionally reliable. You can control its behavior, or disable it completely, inside your Windows Control Panel"

This is some kind of discreet adware. I've noticed it installed on my friends machine once he installed kazaa - although I'm not entirely sure this was the culprit.

Some of the other guys on here may suggest you install and run adaware, which might pick it up (??)
Otherwise do as the description above says and check out your Control Panel. It should be safe to remove it from startup as well.

Hope this helps!

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2002, 11:08 AM
So its used by WildTangent to display web media, but it might be spyware? You can remove the WildTangent Web Drivers in Add/Remove Programs

ljhnz
15-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Thanks Mary H - lightbulb's gone on!
Got a handle on where it came from now - I downloaded some visualisations for windows media player from the wild tangent website a week or so ago - this'll be an update checker I suppose.
Cheers
Lynne