PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Anyone who wants to try out Linux...

Mike
14-11-2002, 06:10 PM
The 3CD version of Mandrake 9 (just released) is available on the cover CDs of the APC magazine for $9.95 from Whitcoulls (and I guess other bookshops). Good price for 3CDs of Linux for those of us with dial-up :D (I asked at a internet cafe - they were going to charge me $90 odd to download and burn it :|)

Mike.

E.ric
14-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Thanks Mike
Yes you are right 3 CD's to the magazine, but only 2 have Mandrake, the other one is a standard magazine issue.

From Eric

Baldy
14-11-2002, 08:46 PM
How does it compare to say Red Hat Linux 7.1

I have a 2 CD evaluation copy of that which I am yet to install.

BALDY:-)

Dolby Digital
15-11-2002, 08:14 AM
You mean its now in the shops?

Susan B
15-11-2002, 08:52 AM
>> You mean its now in the shops?

It won't be for much longer - better get your skates on! ;-) :D

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2002, 09:30 AM
Apparently Mandrake is a more "Nooby" style linux. That's what the grapevine told me, but I read a reveiw in last months auusie mag (Dunno which, there's tons) and it seems easier than my experiences of linux!

Terry Porritt
15-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Just 2 copies left in Whitcoulls, Upper Hutt. :D

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2002, 11:00 AM
Im sure there's a limit terry on how many Whitcoulls will let you buy per day... :D

Dunno Anon
15-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Saw lots in Lambton Quay Whitcoulls...

Mike
15-11-2002, 08:07 PM
>>> How does it compare to say Red Hat Linux 7.1

Well Mandrake 9.0 is the latest, and for RH I think version 8 is the latest, so RH 7.1 is a bit older - probably more like Mandrake 8.0 or something? I dunno...

Mike.

Mike
15-11-2002, 08:09 PM
>>> Yes you are right 3 CD's to the magazine, but only 2 have
>>> Mandrake, the other one is a standard magazine issue.

Oh you a very right, Eric. Oh well - 2 CDs of Linux is better than none eh? :D Big task for the weekend - install Mandrake 9 :D

No wait... I have to clear off some disk space first... hmmm... task for tonight - clear out some disk space for Mandrake 9 :p

Mike.

15-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me.

raddersnz
15-11-2002, 08:32 PM
>>>> Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me.

Considering it is a supperior OS to Microsoft, who would want it.
With the facts of stability and security, and being one of three OS's that truely multitask, > Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me.
rads

merlin-nz
15-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

I installed the CD's and have a small problem,
First the install never gave me the chance to make a Boot disk, it asked for the third disk (International something ?).

Then when I rebooted the machine all was ok until I got to the desktop and no mouse, the damn thing is up the top right of the desktop and dont wanna came down. so have no way of reconfiguring it.

When I first boot into Linux 9.0 I get about 8 seconds to make up my mind if I boot into:
Linux
Windows
old_linux
2418-6
failsafe
old_windows
hell what has happened, before with 8.2 have a choice of :
linux
windows
floppy
failsafe

Please somebody or do I somehow start all over again.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

E.ric
16-11-2002, 05:27 AM
I told (by E-mail) someone in Australia about the magazine, he told me that he went to the bookshop and the magazines were withdrawn from sale.

The ultimate cure for "fatal exception" errors, Put Linux on the whole hard drive.

E.ric
16-11-2002, 05:34 AM
> When I first boot into Linux 9.0 I get about 8
> seconds to make up my mind if I boot into:
> Linux
> Windows
> old_linux
> 2418-6
> failsafe
> old_windows

> hell what has happened, before with 8.2 have a choice
> of :
> linux
> windows
> floppy
> failsafe
>

With SuSE I was able to increase the time, in fact I think their default time was something like 4 seconds, I increased it to 8, I suppose you could also knock a few items off the list?

Graham L
16-11-2002, 01:31 PM
merlin-nz: try "linux 1" to the boot prompt. That will get you in as single user (root). Or ctrl/alt/backspace should kill the X windiw server.

If I get any trouble at all at "early stages", I just reinstall, unless it's something obvious.

If you want to make a boot disk once you have installed, just have a look at the /boot directory for the kernel. It is usually the biggest file there, (sometimes called "bzImage"). Then do "dd if=/boot/wht_the_kernel_is called of=/dev/fd0 bs=72k" with a good DOS-formatted floppy in the drive (not mounted).

crummy
16-11-2002, 04:42 PM
"Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me. "

yeah, these people must be those wierdo's with copies of windows that crash occasionally.

;)

-=JM=-
16-11-2002, 05:59 PM
> Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me.

because it saves finding another way to get it ;)

Archibald
16-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Mike, your advertising skills are very good, went running off to the book store to buy myself a magazine. :D

A

Dolby Digital
17-11-2002, 05:30 PM
>>Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me.
Why anyone would want to pay $600 for Windows XP is beyond me :)

Mike
17-11-2002, 06:16 PM
>>> Why anyone would want to pay $600 for Windows XP is beyond me :)

Because it is a damn fine OS :D

Mike.

sal
17-11-2002, 06:57 PM
seeing as the only experience ive had with linux is the 10 minute muck around with the knoppix cd from last month, is mandrake as cool looking as knoppix was. im happy with my win98 setup in terms of looks and stuff, but i need to 'upgrade' in that area. a bonus i guess if i do decide to go out and get the apc mag is the added benefits of linux of course :D

grtz sal.
tga

Clueless
17-11-2002, 07:05 PM
> Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me.

Whats the problem, it's only an overnight download!

.Clueless

flyer590
17-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Mandrake looks really boring at first but once you put some themes on it looks great.

Dolby Digital
17-11-2002, 08:57 PM
>> Why anyone would want to download Linux is beyond me.
I wonder if you can download M$ Windows then? ;\

E.ric
17-11-2002, 10:45 PM
> >>> Why anyone would want to pay $600 for Windows XP
> is beyond me :)

Yes I used different logic, why anybody would pay $600 after they have seen so many BSOD, form a company that earnt so much money they should be able to write software that would blow your socks off.

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2002, 08:43 AM
Mmm.. At least with OpenSource its FREE, if you download it, otherwise there are usually little hidden charges, like buying the boxed set, but that's mainly for the extras Id think, like the manuals and the nice shrink-wrapped box.

I wonder if M$ could create a windows edition that's bootable. I use the work "Could" coz I'm almost 100% sure that they wont... Think what that'd do to Mr. Gates' wallet if he made a version of even Win95 that ran from a CD?! He'd be dead in an instant.

Why would anybody want to download Linux?
Why would anybody want to pay $600 for Windows XP?

Personal Preference.
Sorta like:
"I like Edam, You like Tasty Cheese". They both do the same when it comes down to it, there's just small vartiations to the thing.

Personally, Id rather create a nice new PC for $600 and install linux on it that use an older m/c with a new version of doze on it.

That's my 2 cents worth anyways.
I must see if there's a Whitcoulls in AK CBD that I could visit during lunch!?

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Couldnt find it at the one on Queen St in AK CBD, either they've sold out or never got it in. I couldnt find a sales dude or whatever, it was like a madhouse in there?!

About downloading it, I've got a friend who lives a few doors down with Cable, and has offered to download it for me, however I'd like to be nice and provide him with a Local site so it will be faster and wont east into his bandwidth allowance. Any good know ones for Mandrake 9?

Graham L
18-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Why not look around for APC. (It is missing the 3rd CD of the set, which has the source files. APC will sell that to you for A$10 -- probably if youi live in Australia ;-)).

Or there are at least 2 companies which will sell you the full 3 disks: xsolutions and copyleft . Or even look at trademe. There are pople selling Linux CDs fairly cheaply too.

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Yeah, But I might as well download the thing tonight, prefferably on a local server though... If I can find one that is!?

-=JM=-
18-11-2002, 04:47 PM
If you look at mandrake.com they should have a list of mirrors there. Also i think that debian.co.nz has it.

Or you could talk to me.

Graham L
18-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Try http://debian.attica.net.nz/mandrake-iso/ . I found that link at http://www.linux.net.nz/ . Another place to look is Linux freaks (http://0r.co.nz/index.php).

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I'lll give them a look over in the morning :)

SoniKalien
18-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Heh, ran out an bought APC instead of PCworld this month. (actually last month too).

Cool, got Linux, but need a pC to poke it on.

Now i'm just waiting for PCWorld to include a free PC on it's cover to get me back...

:p

SiK

obsidion
25-11-2002, 01:56 PM
That's pretty normal when it detects an older version of Linux already installed.
Two ways to tidy that up, if you are using lilo log in to a console eg
alt-ctrl-F2 login as root and edit the /etc/lilo.conf file take out the ones you don't want and save the file then run lillo...this will alter the file to suit the system so to speak and ley you know if you have made any errors in the editing.

If you are using grub then the best way is to log in to the gui as root and run the mandrake control centre and find the appropriate section and edit it there.

With the mouse try running mousedrake from the same console and recofiguring it...
Another method albiet a bit long winded is to let kudzu do it for you, remove the mouse reboot the system, this should remove the setting, then put the mouse back on and reboot and let the system find it.

SKT174
26-11-2002, 09:13 AM
After reading this thread of course I went out to get myself an APC mag :D and of course all sold out in Whitcoulls and various places ... fortunately I managed to grab a copy in a small local magazine shop :D

Only 3 left .. at the time .. well now 2 since I got one :P

Cheers

Wolve
02-12-2002, 10:12 PM
Question..................is it worth trying Linux if u are a complete novice?
and if so which is the best and most user freindly?

Rod J
02-12-2002, 11:28 PM
I can recommend Mandrake Linux 9. I find it's almost as easy to use as my other boot option (Windows 98SE), and it's sure a lot prettier. Linux just does things a bit differently to MS Windows, but it's just a matter of persevering with it. It's certainly worth it. I bought my 3 CD set from http://www.xsolutions.co.nz for $25. There is another version of Linux designed to be as much like Windows XP as possible: http://www.lycoris.com. This version I imagine would probably be the easiest to use for a novice.

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2002, 08:07 AM
I found the RedHat 8.0 Installer to be a breeze, it looks nice and is ever so friendly too! Navigating around Redhat is simple too. I'd reccommend that.

Both Mandrake 9 and Redhat 9 can be bought from www.linux-shop.net.nz for around $25

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2002, 08:08 AM
Sorry, thats:
http://www.linux-shop.co.nz and not .net!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence