PDA

View Full Version : Win ME Dialup and no dial tone - tried good modem and same problem

Alvin Alvrez
13-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Help!!.. Im setting up a Win ME machine, it has a Lucent internal modem in it and every time it tries to dial up it comes back with 'no dial tone', I've tried two working modem (same type) from my machine with the same thing comming back..I have disabled the 'wait for dialtone' but it dials but doesn't connect to anything (if i pick up the phone I can hear it has done nothing)....any help please..Im tired and my eyes are red..and i want to go to bed...hmm...don't ya love computers :)

Jim B
13-11-2002, 09:49 PM
1. Make sure phone line is connected to the port marked Line not Phone

2. Is the dialer pointing to the correct modem in DUN properties

3. Make sure that no other programs are using your modem. Fax software,etc

4. Ctrl-Alt-Delete, if you see RNAAPP loaded, end task

5. Make sure that they can hear a dialtone with a phone connected to the same point.

6 Phone line to the modem/computer could be faulty

yeah
13-11-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi there Alvin,

First of all let's make sure you have got the drivers installed properly.

Right-Click on My Computer -> Properties ->Device Manager.
1. Check if you have a modem entry. If you have a modem entry try updating the driver...

http://members.cnx.net/reboot/modems/#lucent

http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/609.htm

If not...
Check and see if there are any "Yellow Questionmarks" on "PCI Card" (which is usually your modem). If there is a yellow question on "PCI Card" that's your problem. Reinstall the Drivers for that...If you need help check out Windows HELP.

If you have trouble setting up the internet connection which shouldn't be hard at all, check out windows help or www.xtra.co.nz ->Help

PS: I don't recommend Windows ME at all, it's the worst operating system ever designed by Microsoft...

godfather
13-11-2002, 10:27 PM
The fact it is reporting "no dialtone" would suggest its recognising it has a modem. Thats a valid modem response error message.

I would suggest (like the other poster) that its a problem outside the computer.

The cable in the wrong port, or not using a modem cable, as they are different in most cases to a phone cable, they use different pin connections.

Jim B
13-11-2002, 10:47 PM
If the incorrect modem drivers were installed there would be a modem not responding error and not the 680 No dialtone as at present.
The fact that there is a no dialtone error indicates that the modem is responding and ready to dial but unable to get a dial tone to do so.

To suggest modem drivers and risk complicating things without checking the obvious checks first is way off the mark as is the comment about Win ME which you are well aware is in common use and operating fine for the majority of people.

Terry Porritt
14-11-2002, 07:02 AM
Strangely enough, it is possible to get a no dial tone error message, even though the correct drivers are installed and everything else is OK.

On my Win95 backup comp, there is a Dynalink 56k HCF internal modem that absolutely insists that it installs itself on IRQ10. It works fine, but using IRQ10 prevents me installing an ATA/66 controller card that I have.

If I force the modem to use another IRQ, the diagnostics, and everything else says the modem is working and installed OK, EXCEPT when it comes to dialling out. Then it gives the no dial tone error; put it back on IRQ10 and away it goes again.

Havent found an answer to this one.

Bob Kehely
14-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Hello Alvin,

To add to the other great advise, check the lead that you haved used to connect your pc to your jackpoint, I had exactly this problem it was a faulty connection lead, that was supplied with a new computer.

cheers,

Bob

gibler
14-11-2002, 02:27 PM
Heh, I've had exactly the wrong problem when I got modem lead that was wired around the wrong way :^)

gibler
14-11-2002, 03:02 PM
That was meant to say: ....exactly the same problem....

3 hours sleep isn't really enough :)