PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Flash on a network

-=JM=-
13-11-2002, 03:53 PM
We use flash at school. The funny thing is that there is an error when opening it.

It is something along the lines of Can not connect to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash MX\Configuration\\Importers\AIImport.dllwhich is then followed with a similar error for some other dlls in the same location.

The funny thing is the \\ between Configuration and Importers. The location is correct if there wasn't the double backslash.

Looking around on the harddrive there is those files in everyones username and also in C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash MX\First Run\Importers.

If we do it on a stand alone machine all works fine. It must be something to do with Documents and Settings being a network folder. The computers are running Windows 2000 Professional with a RedHat Linux server.

But the really strange thing is that the error doesn't happen in the other suite of computers which are running essentially the same software, but the hardware is different.

Any idea as to why this would be so.

Graham L
13-11-2002, 04:01 PM
I'd suspect a badly formed command line in a shortcut. It looks as if the first part is being treated as a hostname. It could be someting as simple as a missing space.

-=JM=-
13-11-2002, 06:30 PM
I gathered something like that. But where would one look to fix it. I've searched the web and can't find anything.

hmmmm, could it just be the order that software has been installed on them. Because it does work properly on the other computer suite.

SoniKalien
14-11-2002, 08:05 AM
Macromedia has a special program for delivering Flash across networks. Sorry can't remember what it's called, but it may provide a solution. Go to macromedia.com for more info.

SiK

Graham L
14-11-2002, 12:59 PM
If you start it from a shortcut, look at the Properties of that. (Just a guess ... not authortitative :D)

-=JM=-
14-11-2002, 03:16 PM
I'd had a look at Macromedia and couldn't see anything.

Must be something to do with the order that the software was installed on the PCs or something. Because they work in the other room talking to the same server and we're all "admin".

Either that or they don't like the name PascalXX as much as they like BabbageXX