PDA

View Full Version : Email Addresses

Baldy
13-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a list of "business email addresses"

By this, I mean local shops, supermarkets etc.

I want to send out some flyers advertising signage that I do. I suppose I COULD go door to door, but I thought emailing would be quicker.

BALDY:-)

csinclair83
13-11-2002, 02:05 PM
i look on www.yellowpages.co.nz and the ones that have listed email addresses have a lil evelope next to the business and just above phone numbers

or u could try specific businesses by looking on www.whitepages.co.nz (i think this is a website)

I can help find some email addresses if you want :-)

crozier
13-11-2002, 02:09 PM
erm..... do you mean spam them, Baldy? ]:)

csinclair83
13-11-2002, 02:12 PM
LOl i never thought of the word spam even thou i hate it..
buut..advertising for a good reason, business wise..aint spamming..or is it?
i only thought spam means, sending emails to people wihtout permission on a repeated basis...

crozier
13-11-2002, 02:24 PM
"Electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail"

From http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/spam.html

honeylaser
13-11-2002, 02:27 PM
I would totally consider unsolicited mail in any form spam if I received it.. and it would go immediately into deleted items no matter what the content.

Why not just do an old fashioned snail-mail out? I think people are far more likely to look at something bright and catchy which arrives in the mail. And it takes more effort for people to get rid of physical mail than it does to hit the delete key - so you have higher chances of getting a positive response.

Clueless
13-11-2002, 02:56 PM
Baldy,
I think that unsolicited e-mail would be a really bad way to start any business contact, i mean really bad. Sure E is a great way of sustaining contact, receiving orders, all that sort of thing, but i know that when i get it unsolicited, it just serves to get my back up.

.Clueless

Baldy
13-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I suppose it is in theory spam - if I sent it to a private email...... but then again, I don't consider business to business emails as spam. I class it as advertising.

I have found that a brochure sent by "snail mail / post" can be equally thrown in the bin.

Just trying to make a buck

crozier
13-11-2002, 03:40 PM
Years ago when I was in marketing we assumed a 10% responce rate for a personal call, 1% responce rate for a leaflet drop. I would assume between 0.001% and 0.01% for mass email. This is why the spammers send so many.

honeylaser
13-11-2002, 03:46 PM
> I suppose it is in theory spam - if I sent it to a
> private email...... but then again, I don't consider
> business to business emails as spam. I class it as
> advertising.

So do the people who send "U N I V E R S I T Y D I P L O M A" emails and "I Just Turned 18! Check Out My New Webcam!" emails.

Email marketing is great, but it is a delicate process. I think you really need people to opt-in, otherwise they really don't view it as anything but unsolicited mail.

> I have found that a brochure sent by "snail mail /
> post" can be equally thrown in the bin.

Unsolicited email I receive (whether through work or through my personal email accounts) immediately goes in the bin. Unless it is something I have asked to receive (product specials, web updates etc) I don't give it a second look. The delete key is right by my little finger.

Unsolicited "junk" mail which arrives in my home mailbox gets picked out by me. I skim over it, and if anything looks interesting, I actually read it. I HATE junk mail, almost as much as I hate E-Spam, but that doesn't stop me reading it.

You might also want to take into consideration how you would run a mass email out. BCC'ing may mean that you end up being filtered by Mailwasher. Using a program like ACT! or for example WFINZ Minerva Mail (http://www.minervamail.co.nz) doesn't guarantee your mail getting through either.

> Just trying to make a buck

Just trying to help :)

-=JM=-
13-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Personally I think that it would be much better to just go to businesses with your paint in your van (or walk, what ever) then you can paint the red nose and the like right on the spot.

Graham L
13-11-2002, 03:56 PM
A bit tough, honeylaser. I don't think he intended to email the world. But Baldy, a bit of door-to-door salesmanship might be more productive. If you put a sign on the shiny dome, you can show the quality of your work. :D

And it's easier to ignore an email or a postal advertisement than the living salesman. They must find it harder to turn you down face to face.

Baldy
13-11-2002, 03:58 PM
No crozier I don't want to do a MASS email-out.

I only want to send a couple of pricelists and photos of my posters. I am a small one-man business with all my signs being hand done, so I have a limit as to how much work I can take on.

I will just take Chris Sinclairs advice and go look in the www.whitepages.

BALDY:-)

Clueless
13-11-2002, 04:01 PM
I am moderater/owner of one of those Yahoo E group thingys, my one is CHCHGIG Christchurch underground gig guide.

In the last nearly 2 years of the lists exsistence i have approved over 200 mail outs to quite alot of people. The important thing about this is that everyone on the list has joined themselves on to it, or given me their address for the purpose of being on the list. OK, some were a bit drunk at the time, and sometimes some don't even remember joining.. but none the less, they are all volentary recipiants of the lists numerous "guess who's playing at the pub" emails

From time to time i even get E-mail thanking me for it. I would not expect possitive feedback for anything that was sent to any unsuspecting person.. This is why people use mailwasher isn't it?

.Clueless

crozier
13-11-2002, 04:08 PM
> No crozier I don't want to do a MASS email-out.

Sorry Baldy. I wasn't accusing you of considering 'mass' emailling. What I was trying to get across was that any trained salesman can expect a 1:10 success rate by calling in person.... a good one would expect 1:3 once he/she has identified his/her market.

You really can't beat burning shoe leather if it's a local market.

As an alternative to leaflets try giving something away, like calendars or coffee cups. Quite often you will approach someone who doesn't have an immediate need. But when he does you want him to remember you not the other guy - this is why business cards don't work for dissemination, they just get put in the drawer (at best)

Clueless
13-11-2002, 04:19 PM
>I only want to send a couple of pricelists and photos of my posters. I am a small one-man business with all my signs being hand done, so I have a limit as to how much work I can take on.

My suggestion is to put the pricelists on the web, photocopy out a few, with referance to baldy.co.nz/pricelists and hand them out to those who might want to employ you...
This time of year with that Chrismas farce coming up, i'm sure there will be plenty of work for a enthueastic signwriter

.Clueless

Susan B
13-11-2002, 08:34 PM
We get a few fax spams coming through each week and the boss actually reads them and sometimes even files them. I don't think he pays much attention to the email spams though. ;-)

Baldy, there's a nice fax directory in the library and you should have fax software on your machine.... :D

Heather P
13-11-2002, 09:17 PM
>>...try giving something away, like calendars or coffee cups...

... or can you make some form of mass-produced sign (seeing as how you're a signwriter). As it's Christmas - Santa? Reindeer? Really cool star?....
Something inexpensive but talented that will be used for a month.

Dolby Digital
13-11-2002, 09:59 PM
Have you received the spam about buying x million email addresses on cd for $USnn.nn (insert appropriate values for x and n) ;)

I have wondered about doing an "email drop" myself. I have done a bit of research on the net about response rates from email drops (not very high) but its another potential method to get business.

Heather P
13-11-2002, 10:03 PM
>>Have you received the spam about buying ...

Great. Read spam to buy spam to create spam.

Anyone got any recommendations as to how to replace the delete key on a keyboard? Mine is wearing out again...