PDA

View Full Version : system restore

Kredo
12-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Hi
I use windows ME and have on numerous occasions tried to use the system restore (more like won't restore). Everytime it has left a message of "couldn't restore". Am I doing something wrong or is it another fault in ME. I click on create restore point and it says it has done it BUT!!
cheers
Kredo

Mike
12-11-2002, 04:07 PM
> Hi
> I use windows ME and have on numerous occasions tried
> to use the system restore (more like won't restore).
> Everytime it has left a message of "couldn't
> restore". Am I doing something wrong or is it another
> fault in ME. I click on create restore point and it
> says it has done it BUT!!

Why are you trying to restore? If you try to restore, but no changes have been made since the last restore point was created, then it won't restore.

Mike.

Graham L
12-11-2002, 04:10 PM
Firends got a machine with WinME a year ago. A month later it wouldn't boot. I couldn't restore, because no restore points. I reinstalled and made a restorepoint. A month later, it wouldn't boot. Restore didn't work. I reinstalled, and set for a restore point each Saturday at 4:00 p.m.

That scared it. It's still working.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I suspect there might be something wrong with Microsoft's product. ;-)

Graham L
12-11-2002, 04:10 PM
Firends got a machine with WinME a year ago. A month later it wouldn't boot. I couldn't restore, because no restore points. I reinstalled and made a restorepoint. A month later, it wouldn't boot. Restore didn't work. I reinstalled, and set for a restore point each Saturday at 4:00 p.m.

That scared it. It's still working.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I suspect there might be something wrong with Microsoft's product. ;-)

Mike
12-11-2002, 04:11 PM
Wow a double-post! :O

Mike.

Jen C
12-11-2002, 05:12 PM
Hi Kredo

There are several issues that could prevent System Restore not functioning properly.

1. Have you downloaded the update Q290700 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290700) that fixes a bug in the system. Should of been included in critical updates when first released.

2. What about space requirements to store the restore points. Read this (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q261680).

3. This one is more serious. Registry problems (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q303354).

Hopefully one of these will help.

Jen

stevee
12-11-2002, 08:28 PM
I also had this problem with ME - it just stopped setting restore points or allowing any restores. The solution turned out to be due to a disk space problem as per Jen-C's post (item 2). It seems if your free space drops below 200MB System Restore turns itself off without telling anyone, and doesn't come back when the space is freed. Once you've rekindled it manually it is fine.
I might add that despite the flak that ME gets, I have found System Restore to be an invaluable tool for rescuing from dodgy installs, and even from a particularly intrusive virus that wormed its way in once.

timb
13-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi,
I had a similar problem. Each time I tried there were no restore points set. It had worked perfectly at one stage. Finally found out that a recently installed version of one of "Norton's" many products had taken over the system and decided (without "consultation") that it would take over this function and suppress any other application. Since uninstalling the offender, I have had no problems.
I might add that I have had no problems with Me after installing it when it first came out....but I will no longer use any "Norton" products!

roofus
13-11-2002, 08:38 AM
actually timb Go Back is quite explicit in saying that it will take over the system restore function. It mentions it while you install. You must have missed it. (I'm guessing Go back was the product you were refering to)

Kredo
13-11-2002, 09:49 PM
Hi Jen C
"1. Have you downloaded the update Q290700 that fixes a bug in the system. Should of been included in critical updates when first released"
This optioned worked, my system now restores when I require it.
Thank you
cheers
Kredo

Kredo
13-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Thanks to all for the replies.
In answer to Mike, I create a restore point before I install software or if I am playing around with the registry etc... Just in case!!!
cheers
Kredo