PDA

View Full Version : search this site (actually a completely differant site)

Clueless
12-11-2002, 10:14 AM
Ok... feeling particually clueless this morning..
I was asked how hard it would be to stick one of those little "search this site" banners on a website i maintain. Obviously this involves something that is largely on the server (cave rock) but what?

All guidance would be appreciated!

.Clueless

gibler
12-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Er if its linux based you would just use something like htdig.

Clueless
12-11-2002, 11:22 AM
indeed it is

Apache/1.3.22 Server at www.rescue.net.nz

heres what ID serve tells me about it:

Initiating server query ...
Looking up IP address for domain: www.rescue.net.nz
The IP address for the domain is: 202.37.100.6
Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
[Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
The server returned the following response headers:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 22:21:29 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6 PHP/4.0.6 mod_perl/1.24
Last-Modified: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:06:15 GMT
ETag: "19d842-cf7-3d8e6907"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 3319
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html
Query complete.

Clueless
13-11-2002, 07:06 AM
>you would just use something like htdig.

As allready stated that i am the page designer, not the owner of the server, i don't know what htdig is but is suspect if i go to my own dead, sorry "sleeping" server i might find out.. either way, what i want to know is how to impliment this into the www.rescue.net.nz website.

What code do i use on the page?

Do i need to orginise anything with the webhosts, in this case, CaveRock?

Hoping someone can help please

.Clueless

wuppo
13-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Have a search on Google for "javascript sitesearch" - you can find plenty of clientside scripts to add a search facility to your site.

-=JM=-
13-11-2002, 03:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that Google offer a service where you can use them to search on your page.

Graham L
13-11-2002, 04:04 PM
I think that what google gives you is a little window which enables visitors to enter a google search. That is a search of google's database. Google does not search sites in real time. It explores the whole world, "sequenmtially", and updates its enormous database accordingly. It takes a long time to get around.

If you limit a search to a particular site, it will find what's in its database for that site. That can be weeks old. If the site is there at all. Google has not been to every site.

Heather P
13-11-2002, 05:03 PM
http://www.atomz.com/search/

Try the above link.

How it works is you sign up with them and tell them which pages can be searched. You then put a form on your page with an action to their site. When the user presses the submit button the action searches your pages and returns the results of the query.

There are 2 versions - Express (free) and advanced. The difference between the 2 is listed here (http://www.atomz.com/search/trial_account.htm)

Clueless
14-11-2002, 08:43 AM
Heather... that is brilliant!

I have added a wee "atoms search" form to the Rescue Asia Pacific (http://www.rescue.net.nz) website, and it look great..
I got to wonder how they make any $$, it's so tidy and doesn't even put it's own icon/logo with the form!

Thanks again
.Clueless

Heather P
14-11-2002, 09:59 AM
>>and doesn't even put it's own icon/logo with the form!

It does on the results page.

BUT....
"Editable Search Template
Customers can completely control the look and feel of their search results page with an easy-to-use template editor, accessible right inside of the Atomz Search application interface. Search results can match the design of the rest of the Web site."

Also, if you want to change the colour of your search button:
<input type=submit value="Go" style="background: #0066CC; color: #FFFFFF">
This one created a Go button, text white, background blue

You could perhaps make it yellow to match your links.

I guess they make money by exposure. By offering something free they would get more people using it and upgrading to the full version than if they just asked for money straight up.

Also, if people trust and use one product then they would be more inclined to pay for other products on offer.