PDA

View Full Version : Excel window "Restore Down" to size ..

Woof
12-11-2002, 08:01 AM
Running Windows 2000 and Excell 97 SR2

Each morning I open 2 workbooks and then need to resize the window down by taking in the right hand side by about a third to expose another application (BNZ PC Banking) so that I can manually transfer the exposed data into Excel.

However Excel "restore down" currently only reduces the window by a miniscule amount (less than half cm)

How can I 'teach' Excel to remember my desired settings/parameters ?

wuppo
12-11-2002, 08:16 AM
After sizing your window, try closing Xcel by clicking on the icon on the top left of the Title bar (above the 'File' menu).

Woof
12-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Thanks, but ..

This works but only after I closed Excel WHEN the window was in the reduced size. Now when I start Excel it starts in that reduced size which is a suitable 'work-around'

Pity you weren't writing help file for Bill Gates ...

Russell D
12-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Why not just use <Alt><Tab> to flip between applications?

Woof
12-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Thanks for that tip (for future use) but in this instance large numbers of items are being copied into the spreadsheet - like 25 cheques and 20 deposits plus other rats and mice transactions but still not large enough to mess with using automation which also would cause a loss of that "hands-on" feel for individual transactions [ copy and paste is NOT an option with BNZ PC Banking] :-

One of the workbooks is effectively copies of our bank statements and are used to forecast cashflow and to facilitate control of releasing cheques , staying under overdraft limits and transferring funds to call and/or term deposit a/cs

The other workbook records cheques written, when they are released (but not yet presented) and then presented to facilitate control over releasing cheques yet staying under overdraft limits etc

parry
12-11-2002, 03:49 PM
Most PC banking apps allow you to download the statement as a file. Can you not do this with the BNZ one?

Woof
12-11-2002, 04:02 PM
In my humble opinion = {but still not large enough to mess with using automation which also would cause a loss of that "hands-on" feel for individual transactions}

Personally I am reluctant to deal with BNZ PC Banking in anyway other than the barest minimum, a cynical opinion hardened over the years of being 'inflicted' with what is is still barely a single user app dressed-up (they only ever started using it because the 'old' system was NOT Y2K -compliant and in spite of BNZ having spent so much time and effort covering their a*s* getting legal disclaimers from their customers without providing them with any they suddenly at the last minute found themselves exposed. So they rushed through this basic system which is still a fairly basic toy as opposed to a business tool)