PDA

View Full Version : hp versus cd-rw

aries1973
11-11-2002, 03:53 PM
I have a HP computer (ok you can stop laughing now :( ) and I recently upgraded from XP home to XP pro to get rid of the crap installed with XP home. My problem is I can no longer burn CDs thru Easy CD Creator or WMP. The same thing happened when I deleted MusicMatch Jukebox from XP Home. Has anyone else had this problem???

Please help me!!!! I need to burn CDs!!!! :)

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Right Click on My Computer and goto Hardware
Select Device Manager and make sure everything's ok in there (There'll be a warning sign if not).
Next, try updating Easy CD-Creator.

Or, try using XP's built in CD-Writing capabilities!

aries1973
11-11-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks for that... I have tried the first two suggestions without any success ... I guess my only other option is to use XP.

Lohsing
11-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Ok... ummm... have you considered the impact of ASPI layers?

Read this site (http://www.nu2.nu/aspi/) to understand all there is about it... follow the instructions and post back to let us know whether or not it has helped.

Lo.

Mike
11-11-2002, 05:39 PM
>>> I recently upgraded from XP home to XP pro to get rid of the crap
>>> installed with XP home

I'm interested to know what you mean by that statement? What crap was installed with XP Home that's not installed with XP Pro?

Mike.

godfather
11-11-2002, 05:48 PM
I assume you installed a full retail copy of XP Pro, to avoid all the add-ins in the recovery disk version supplied with the PC.

Amazing.....

It is so easy to use add-remove to eliminate the unwanted applications pre-loaded, then use your CDRW drive to make a restore of the stripped down system....I have done it for systems.

You will have removed all drivers (which are loaded automatically with your restore disk) and will need to source these after loading the full retail version of XP

Mike
11-11-2002, 05:57 PM
>>> You will have removed all drivers (which are loaded automatically
>>> with your restore disk) and will need to source these after loading
>>> the full retail version of XP

Very very very good point :)

Mike.

tech_mister
12-11-2002, 03:22 AM
Xp Pro should have most of the drivers needed to run your pc.,
however I have recently found out [much to my disgust] that HP cd writers will only work with HP software.I kidd you not!
You can download the software from their website,if you can be
bothered ,personally I would just get rid of the whole pc.

Clueless
12-11-2002, 04:34 AM
>personally I would just get rid of the whole pc.

Yes but it must be working first, :) and then, it may as well be kept.
While i'd never recomend anyone buy a HP comp, if that is what aries1973 has, then that is what must be worked with.
I'm running 2 450meg antique machines, and untill i sell my land or my soul (whichever comes first) its what i got, and the challenge is to get what i need out of them...

I manage to annoy this place don't I, even if the comp is cruddy?

.Clueless

kiwibeat
12-11-2002, 08:33 AM
try nero it works better than cd creator or try doing a custom install of cd creator without the direct cd bit

godfather
12-11-2002, 08:57 AM
> however I have recently found out [much to my
> disgust] that HP cd writers will only work with HP
> software.I kidd you not!

That is not my experience.

HP CDRW drives have run here under several different burner programs. The reverse may be true perhaps, in that HP RecordNow burner software may need an HP drive.

I have had excellent performance from HP systems. You get the machine you pay for. For home users (not gamers) they are often excellent machines.

Mike
12-11-2002, 09:28 AM
>>> Xp Pro should have most of the drivers needed to run your pc.,

Not if the machine is newer than XP. Had this problem while working on a new Compaq recently - the computer was brand new, so some of the components didn't have drivers included in XP Pro (such as an NForce NIC).

These drivers were included on the recovery CD however (which was XP Home)

Mike.

Veale
12-11-2002, 10:09 AM
Morning all,

In my limited experience, having gone thru three hp cd writers, I have found that they were all compatible with non-hp software and have found them on par with all other writers. (A good tradesman doesn't blame his tools!) ;\

As well as writers, I have found that hp computers are very stable and a good all round machine, why they cop so much flak beats me? ?:|

Cheers

Veale

Mike
12-11-2002, 10:14 AM
>>> why they cop so much flak beats me?

Perhaps it's their cost? I dunno - never used one.

Mike.

Clueless
12-11-2002, 10:29 AM
>why they cop so much flak beats me?

A freind bought a HP system 3 years ago from tricky dicky
it had "problems" so he took it into trickys for a repair. It apparently needed a new power supply after being eaten out by a vius (odd that)

The bill? just over $300 for the powersupply alone
Why? Because it was a specail HP one (of course)!!!!!

Fortunatly i managed to talk him into handing the computer to a local clever sod who reformatted and put XP on it, before any other "virus infected hardware" was replaced

.Clueless

mashimaro
12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
>I have found that hp computers are very stable and a good all round >machine, why they cop so much flak beats me?

It's the price, HP doesn't make any components, I've seen a particular HP with MSI motherboards, seagate hdd, LG cd rom, ...etc. I can get all those parts and make an identical PC with much much less $ and most of those branded PC uses oem boards which is so limited that the only thing u can change is probably the date and time in BIOS :^O

Not to mention their proprietary cases, PSU, "Sorry SIR, u can't replace yr blown PSU with a $45 generic one as it won't fit, u must get a HP one which is only $200...."

I've had 2 HP customers who had their PSU blown in their HPs and finally they bought a new case instead for 1/3 of the price of a HP PSU

aries1973
13-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Well I for one will never buy an HP computer again no matter what anyone says... and I have solved the problem of not being able to burn through easy cd creator... burn with Nero instead. Although I would still like to find out why easy cd creator wont work. Thanks for your help tho guys :)

crozier
13-11-2002, 04:34 PM
>I t's the price, HP doesn't make any components, I've seen a particular > HP with MSI motherboards, seagate hdd, LG cd rom, ...etc. I can get all > those parts and make an identical PC with much much less $

I would say that's unfair to direct that at HP because the same can be said of all PC manufacturers, including local ones. I've been building my own PCs for about 3 years and they're always cheaper than any manufacturer can build.

Interestingly enough, when I bought a PC for my 7 year old I got a Compaq (now HP). Several reasons for this including the support and the factory restore procedure as opposed to reinstalling Windows.

I guess the moral is: build your own if you're happy to support your own, but buy a 'brand name' if you can't / won't support it.

Susan B
13-11-2002, 05:47 PM
>> I would still like to find out why easy cd creator wont work.

You don't happen to have both CD Creator AND Nero on your PC at the same time, do you? I have read that they don't like each other.....

CD Creator might run if it didn't have Nero to fight with. :-)

Susan B
13-11-2002, 05:54 PM
>> I've been building my own PCs for about 3 years and they're always cheaper than any manufacturer can build.

That's what I thought but after seeing the latest PC Company's adverts I started to wonder.

Yes, I know, I know - The PC Company. Let's not go there! :D

godfather
13-11-2002, 06:47 PM
>Interestingly enough, when I bought a PC for my 7 year old I got a >Compaq (now HP). Several reasons for this including the support and >the factory restore procedure as opposed to reinstalling Windows.

Exactly right, and I would still recommend them any day for people that want a home PC (not for gaming) and don't want the hassle of compatability issues, and don't want to have to become a geek to operate it.

They are reliable. The reason a lot of "customer tweaking" cannot be done on their OEM BIOS means they stay reliable. I know of several 1997 Win95 models that are still running fine, never been reformatted.

tech_mister
14-11-2002, 01:38 AM
>>Interestingly enough, when I bought a PC for my 7 year old I got a Compaq (now HP). Several reasons for this including the support and the factory restore procedure as opposed to reinstalling Windows.

I personally prefer just reinstalling the OS since that is all that you
usually need to do ,if you use HP like restore disks you usually loose
all your data and any programs you have put on,which can be quite
a hassle and as for HP support well...I can quote you lots of bad
support cases from HP and alot of big OEM,s.
At the end of the day a local guy(usually the guy that built it) coming around to your house
to sort out the problem has got to be the best support , shipping your
PC off to god knows where and waiting for weeks is not much support
at all.

>>Exactly right, and I would still recommend them any day for people that want a home PC (not for gaming) and don't want the hassle of compatability issues, and don't want to have to become a geek to operate it.

I don,t know of any home pc,s that are not used for gaming at some stage and as far as I know XP is XP and works exactly the same on an
HP as a Custom built pc.......and what compatability issues?

and lastly HP cd writers are very good writers and are made by Sony
which would explain why they are so good,however Nero burning rom
would not install on my friends pc with HP writer,saying the drive
was not compatable. :) ;)

crozier
14-11-2002, 09:39 AM
> I personally prefer just reinstalling the OS since that is all that you
> usually need to do ,if you use HP like restore disks you usually loose
> all your data and any programs you have put on,which can be quite
> a hassle

There's usally a choice 'of a factory' installation or an 'install in place'. The latter won't destroy your data. What make it simple is that all the drivers and other software are automatically installed. In my daughters case this includes Works, Encarta etc which needs a total of 7 CDs to install manually. In fact, hassle free.

> as for HP support well...I can quote you lots of bad
> support cases from HP and alot of big OEM,s.

I've had equally bad, insome cases apalling service from small NZ shops. I think it comes down to the fact that even if you only have 1% unhappy customers tha's 100 if you sell 10000 PC's. On average an unhappy customer tells 20 people, so 2000 people know about that 1%.

Most helpdesk people spend much of their time talking to people who don't know their ROM from their RAM or forgot to turn the monitor on and coundn't work out why the screen was blank. That's who they're their for. If you're an expert, why call them... fix it yourself and save time.

> I don,t know of any home pc,s that are not used for gaming at some stage

HP, Compaq Packhard Bell will all be suitable for gaming... but not for hardened gamers. The odd game of Age of Empires is no problem, but for super duper graphics you need a custom built PC. Amy's PC doubles as a network gaming machine quite adequetly when my friends come over for a network game of MoH or Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

> as far as I know XP is XP and works exactly the same on an
> HP as a Custom built pc.......and what compatability issues?

Wrong. Amy's Compaq has extra, built-in help support frm the standard help screen in windows. There is also extra support software built-in to the OS.

I've fixed a lot of PCs which started having trouble after the owner fiddled with the BIOS and changed something he didn't understand. Our Compaq won't let us do that so it will always function how it was designed to. Let's face it, it's not an overclockers machine. If I want to fiddle, I've got my Beast to play with.

godfather
14-11-2002, 09:47 AM
> I've had equally bad, insome cases apalling service
> from small NZ shops.

One of the main issues is, will the shop still be in existence in a year?
Unfortunately for small businesses the competitive nature of the industry leads to a short life for many small shops.

Then you are left with no support at all. I know many people in this situation, with no redress on warranty issues, for a "built with lowest cost parts" PC, complete with on-going incompatabilities. (probably why the businesses went under in the first place)

Veale
14-11-2002, 12:14 PM
> HP, Compaq Packhard Bell will all be suitable for
> gaming... but not for hardened gamers. The odd game
> of Age of Empires is no problem, but for super duper
> graphics you need a custom built PC.

Again I will have to disagree, my HP runs all modern games fine. As a hardened gamer I have found frame rates etc fine.

I will admit that I have installed a new graphics card recently but prior to that I was still able to blaze away on GTA3, MOH UT2K3 without any problems. :D

In response to an earlier comment regarding a HP that has run since 1997 without reformatting, I will support this. My families first computer was a HP and has run from 1998 without reformatting, that with 6 people doing different things on it. :-)

Price-wise they are more expensive, but for their reliability and stableness I think it is worth it.

Cheers

Veale

SKT174
14-11-2002, 03:57 PM
>Price-wise they are more expensive, but for their reliability and >stableness I think it is worth it.

Sorry, have to disagree on this one, since HP doesn't make any parts, I could get the same components to have the same reliability and stableness for a lot less money.

BTW without formatting your machine for so many years doesn't mean those HP PC are more stable compared to other oems, software and windows causes most crashes not hardware.

If your machine keeps crashing and after format and reinstall it works fine again then it's not hardware fault is it?

If HP and I uses the same parts, what is the difference apart from the big price? What makes HP more stable and reliable than mine :D ?

Veale
14-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Who said anything about it being more stable than yours, the fact that it hasn't had any problems all these years, merely shows that the all round configuration of the machine (both software and hardware) is pretty good. ;\

As for your "big" price difference, I fail to see how people justify this (apart from some components, I agree) 5 months ago I paid $2799 for a 1700+ AMD, 256mb RAM, 40gb HD, 32mb Vid card, etc, which was on par with other offers at the same time. ?:|

Cheers

Veale

crozier
14-11-2002, 04:55 PM
> what is the difference apart from the big price?

Where do you get the idea of the big price from? Check out the brand name packages at any store and you'll see that they are pretty good value when compared to a locally built deal.

Lohsing
14-11-2002, 04:56 PM
> As for your "big" price difference, I fail to see how
> people justify this (apart from some components, I
> agree) 5 months ago I paid $2799 for a 1700+ AMD,
> 256mb RAM, 40gb HD, 32mb Vid card, etc, which was on
> par with other offers at the same time. ?:|

$2700 + GST, P4 1.8, Asus P4S533, Maxtor 40gig, Asus Geforce 4 TI4400, 256 DDR333Mhz, Aopen 32X writer, Soundblaster Live 5.1, Keyboard, Mouse, no monitor.

Smaller shop, but being a friend of the owner I was able to get a kick-ass gaming machine at the time for that amount of money. Much better value than an HP IMHO...

Lo.

Veale
15-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Just out of interest Lohsing,

Did you get a warranty with that? If so, for how long long?

Cheers

Veale

Lohsing
15-11-2002, 10:40 AM
2 year rtb warranty. Only had to use it once for a strip of 512 mb ddr333 which kept giving registry errors.

Lo.

SKT174
15-11-2002, 12:08 PM
>Who said anything about it being more stable than yours,

Read my previous post carefully, I said if I use the same parts as HP to built a machine, what makes HP more stable than mine ( refers to the machine i built using the same parts as HP) not my current PC.

>As for your "big" price difference, I fail to see how people justify this ...

>Where do you get the idea of the big price from? Check out the brand >name packages at any store and you'll see that they are pretty good >value when compared to a locally built deal.

I just check one of the HP machines in DSE's web site, HP Pavilion 713A selling $2795

(This HP features a 2.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, 60GB Hard Drive, 256MB DDR Memory, DVD/CDRW Combo Drive , 56K Modem, Integrated Video & LAN, Optical mouse, Internet Keyboard, Windows XP Home & 17" monitor)

I can get the same spec for $2250, that's $545 diff, may not sound much to you, but enough for me to get a Geforce 4 Ti series :D

Cheers :)

Veale
15-11-2002, 12:11 PM
The 5 year warranty with mine must be considered a good deal then! ;\ Mind due it cost an extra $200, but that made the PC only $2599.
Hmm... I don't think I'm convincing anyone though! :D
Maybe HP has brain washed me!

Cheers

Veale

crozier
15-11-2002, 12:20 PM
>I can get the same spec for $2250, that's $545 diff

What's this worth:

Service & Support: 1 year limited warranty with up-and-running phone support for first 30 days
Software: Windows XP Home Edition; Microsoft Works 6.0; Money 2002 Standard; Acrobat Reader 5.0; Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2002; :InterVideo WinDVD SE; MusicMatch Jukebox; VERITAS HP RecordNow; ArcSoft Photo Impression, Funhouse and Greeting Card Creator; HP Memories Disc Creator; Java Virtual Machine; Internet Explorer
Service & Support: Hard Drive based Application Recovery for reinstallation of applications and drivers with option to keep user data files intact; Norton AntiVirus 2002, includes 90 days of free updates; Preloaded Help & Support Center

You won't get that package from small shops

Veale
15-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Sorry SKT174,

Must've been posting as same time.

Point taken about the parts, although I then question why there are comments about "HP" replacement parts being more expensive than other brands? :O

I may have to concede, regarding you price difference. :8}

Cheers

Veale

Veale
15-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Again I reply at the same time, this time it was crozier.

May have to withdraw my last statement! :D

Cheers

Veale

Marty2001
15-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Windows update also has some patches for CD writers with XP

SKT174
15-11-2002, 01:23 PM
> What's this worth:
>
> Service & Support: 1 year limited warranty with
> up-and-running phone support for first 30 days
> Software: Windows XP Home Edition; Microsoft Works
> 6.0; Money 2002 Standard; Acrobat Reader 5.0; Encarta
> Encyclopedia Standard 2002; :InterVideo WinDVD SE;
> MusicMatch Jukebox; VERITAS HP RecordNow; ArcSoft
> Photo Impression, Funhouse and Greeting Card
> Creator; HP Memories Disc Creator; Java Virtual
> Machine; Internet Explorer
> Service & Support: Hard Drive based Application
> Recovery for reinstallation of applications and
> drivers with option to keep user data files intact;
> Norton AntiVirus 2002, includes 90 days of free
> updates; Preloaded Help & Support Center
>
> You won't get that package from small shops

The price I quoted before comes with a 2 years RTB warranty and should any parts broke within the 1st 6 months, a new part will be replaced. It also comes with 5 years free labour. When I said I can get the same spec it includes all those software u've mentioned above. Most of them are not even worth while to mention.. like Acrobat reader, NAV 2002, IE, Java Virtual Machine, Win DVD, Disc Creator...etc. as they are pretty much free stuff that comes with various hardware. Even Norton Internet Security comes free for 90days with motherboard these days.

Cheers :D

Lohsing
15-11-2002, 01:59 PM
> > What's this worth:
> >
> > Service & Support: 1 year limited warranty with
> > up-and-running phone support for first 30 days
> > Software: Windows XP Home Edition; Microsoft Works
> > 6.0; Money 2002 Standard; Acrobat Reader 5.0;
> Encarta
> > Encyclopedia Standard 2002; :InterVideo WinDVD
> SE;
> > MusicMatch Jukebox; VERITAS HP RecordNow; ArcSoft
> > Photo Impression, Funhouse and Greeting Card
> > Creator; HP Memories Disc Creator; Java Virtual
> > Machine; Internet Explorer
> > Service & Support: Hard Drive based Application
> > Recovery for reinstallation of applications and
> > drivers with option to keep user data files
> intact;
> > Norton AntiVirus 2002, includes 90 days of free
> > updates; Preloaded Help & Support Center
> >
> > You won't get that package from small shops
>
> The price I quoted before comes with a 2 years RTB
> warranty and should any parts broke within the 1st 6
> months, a new part will be replaced. It also comes
> with 5 years free labour. When I said I can get the
> same spec it includes all those software u've
> mentioned above. Most of them are not even worth
> while to mention.. like Acrobat reader, NAV 2002, IE,
> Java Virtual Machine, Win DVD, Disc Creator...etc.
> as they are pretty much free stuff that comes with
> various hardware. Even Norton Internet Security
> comes free for 90days with motherboard these days.
>
> Cheers :D

Have to fully agree with SKT174's post here... I mean, putting aside all the software (which comes free anyway or bundled with mobo, etc), the main point is the "1 yr ltd warranty" .... who does this?? I mean, a 2 yr RTB warranty surely has to be standard? If that product was so great, why only offer 1 yr as a warranty? :O

Bet you the small print says "excludes labour" as well... ;\

Lo.

aries1973
15-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Whatever you do, do not upgrade the operating system on your HP computer!!! It makes the Warranty null and void. I made the mistake of updating my OS and I still have 4 years to go on my warranty. They wont even consider my problem unless I have the original OS. What a waste of money! 1 or 2 years should be sufficient time for a warranty anyway.... after that its probably time to upgrade :)

Lohsing
15-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Now this I find stupid... I can understand if you open up the case and playing around with the insides voiding your warranty, but upgrading the OS voiding a warranty??? :O ... that's just ridiculous...

Lo.

crozier
15-11-2002, 03:05 PM
It's pretty simple. OEM means that the product is supported by HP and not by Microsoft (in the case of Windows). HP add stuff to windows, not least of all the help / support system. How can they support it if it has been removed or upgraded out of their control?

When you buy any PC with OEM software the manufacturer or shop should support it - but you try getting them to sort out your windows issues!

aries1973
15-11-2002, 03:08 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!! Thats what I said to the unhelpful man on the HP helpdesk... "so I can install new hardware and I can download programs from the Net but I can't upgrade my OS????"

The standard reply.... "Well if you read the warranty it states blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"

but....

"if you reinstall the old operating system then we can help you"

Its pretty hard to do that when HP doesnt give you any disks with the computer because it has a separate partition that enables you to fix any problems... Yeah right!!! Too bad if you cant actually get in there to fix it!!!!

Do I sound bitter??? DAMN RIGHT!!!

antmannz
15-11-2002, 03:40 PM
I will never, ever buy or recommend a Compaq or HP. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25462&message=88486&q=#88486)
Everybody should repeat this over and over and over and ........

crozier
15-11-2002, 03:41 PM
When did HP stop supplying restore disks? Our Compaq (about a year old) came with them, and instructions for upgrading the system to XP. What are you supposed to do if the hard drive stuffs up?

aries1973
15-11-2002, 03:50 PM
......... exactly .......... :(

crozier
15-11-2002, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that their was some trouble over OEMs not supplying disks 3 or 4 years ago. So how are they getting away with it now?

SKT174
15-11-2002, 05:43 PM
>I will never, ever buy or recommend a Compaq or HP

I'll drink to that :D

Tell me .. if you have some problems say HDD starting to fail in your HP or Compaq (they are the same now) u bought from say ... bond & bond. How long do u think it will take to have your machine fixed or even to have your machine looked at?

The custom built machine I bought from a local shop can have my HDD replaced, OS & software installed, Internet setup and all my emails safe and sound within a working day .. now that's what I called service :)

godfather
15-11-2002, 06:39 PM
You are still ignoring a most important issue.

Of all the "small shops" operating here 5 years ago, how many stayed in business for the warranty period? None! Some of them were not that small either. I know of many who had near new PCs and no support. I also know that when they bought the next PC, it was usually a brand name.

If you want a long term level of support, you are unlikely to get it from a small supplier, they simply will not always be there. Some non technical people do consider this aspect. For them, the brand name computers are fine.

As for not allowing a HDD change, I have upgraded a HDD in several HP machines with no problem. I would never have bought a machine with no restore CD.

DSE were selling one of their own brands a few months back, with no CD restore facility, however they did advertise it as such

antmannz
15-11-2002, 07:01 PM
> Of all the "small shops" operating here 5 years ago, how many stayed
> in business for the warranty period? None! Some of them were not
> that small either.

And that's what CMANZ (http://www.cmanz.co.nz/) was set up to cover.

Rod ger
16-11-2002, 11:59 PM
Have a look at ALL the computer help forums on the net: which brand has the biggest representation?
Which brand charges more for their parts.
Which brand has nonstandard setups.
Which brand is hardest to upgrade.