PDA

View Full Version : Removing WinXP components.

Kenshin
11-11-2002, 10:35 AM
How do you remove useless window components that are useless to you??

I know that you can goto add/remove and remove a few of them there, but A LOT of others are hidden.

I remember posting here once and someone told me to go into a certain file ...and then removing the word " hide" in the file. But I can't remember what the file is.

So, if you know, please let me know : )
thx.

Babe Ruth
11-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Kenshin,

You could install Service Pack 1 for Windows XP, after which you have the option "Set Program Access and Defaults" where you can add/remove extra Windows Components.

If you don't want SP1 then edit the system file %SYSTEMDRIVE%\WINDOWS\inf\SYSOC.INF to remove the 'hide' values from the lines of the various components. After editing and saving the file, restart your XP system. Then go into Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components. This may (or may not) have the option to remove the component you want.

I recommend the SP1 install.

Babe.

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Babe Ruth - I tried that a while back with MSN Messenger, and it didnt work, but installing SP1 for XP did. Why would that be?
I followed it exactly as said, and unhid everything, but nothing? Its fixed now, but I was just wondering if you knew why it might not have worked.

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2002, 11:02 AM
BTW, I followed those same instructions on a friends PC and it worked easy... Could it be XP Pro only?

Babe Ruth
11-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Chill,

Hmmm I did test that on both XP Home and Pro and both worked for me. However someone else tried on Xp (Pro) and it didn't work. So I never did figure it out! Then along came SP1 and that works fine (it does a similar thing).

Cheers, Babe.