PDA

View Full Version : samba wont appear in my network places

mcatley
10-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Im running a Linux Mandrake 8.0 machine and samba server in a p2p network with my xp machine. My problem is that the samba server wont appear in my network places. even when i browse to entire network -> Microsoft Windows Networks -> Workgroup (that is the only 1 their so its not in a different workgroup) i can only see my win xp box. i am sure their are no conflicts or anything on the hardware or protocol frount as i can webmin and SSH onto the linux box.
Any Ideas?

Graham L
10-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Have you set up Samba so that it exports some things? If you haven't, nothing will appear to the Windows system. That's because there isn't anything there :D

mcatley
10-11-2002, 01:30 PM
I can see it now (stupid me i forgot to start the server) but now when i double click on the linux computer i get an error saying //(Linux computer) is not accessable. you may not have permition to use this network resource .... but i have set it up so guests can conect and have r/w access to the share. any ideas about that?

ps thanks graham

Graham L
10-11-2002, 01:37 PM
Mmmm ;-)

It has worked pretty easily for me, but I haven't used XP. Can you access the shared stuff from a non-Administrator account? Linux people have been progressively beefing up network security, so a lot of "root" access is not allowed over the network.

mcatley
12-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Figured it out i just had to set the security to SHARE LEVEL
Thanks guys