PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Linux?

Erin Salmon
09-11-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Don't abandon me having read the subject - I actually have a second PC to run Linux on, so I stop buggering the first one...

I have two hard drives, a 40GB (with windows), and a 10GB (with Linux). At boot, I get the option to choose between either, and if I remove the 10GB drive (I want to use it elsewhere), this screen does not appear - instead, I get 01 01 01 01 01 printed indefinately! Changing BIOS's boot drive doesn't change this.

How can I tell my computer I want to boot Windows every time?

Cheers,

Erin

-=JM=-
09-11-2002, 09:59 PM
What version of WIndows is it.

I'm pretty sure that you would do a fdisk /mbr to restore the mbr. THen just wipe out the linux partition,

BUT wait for Graham L and the others.

roofus
10-11-2002, 08:00 AM
yep That will fix it.

Erin Salmon
10-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Hi,

Lets just get this exactly right, I've made booboos with Linux enough :)

Create a boot floppy (ordinary windows one with Fdisk on it)

Boot from the disk, and type:

Fdisk /mbr

That will wipe the master boot record, and should then boot windows?

Is that foolproof?

:)

Erin

Mike
10-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Just boot to your Windows drive as normal, then shut down to DOS (If it's ME you'll need to use a boot disk)

and yeah, then just fdisk /mbr.

It's a completely different method if you're using Win XP though.

Mike.

Graham L
10-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Nice to see that caveat, Mike. "Foolproof?", Erin asks. Microsoft have spawned a very high class of fools. :D

FDISK /MBR is the standard fix for "DOS based" Windows. The clever ones, I don't know.

If the linux uses LILO (and it's this which is coughing on you when you remove the Linux disk ... ) you should be able to just boot Linux (single user --- "boot: linux 1") or login as root, and "lilo -u". If you have Grub, I don't know ... it didn'thave this option when I looked at it, but they may have added it. (try "grub --help" or "man grub"). The lilo "-u" restores the boot sector which existed before lilo installed its one. That should cope with XP etc, too.