PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Works Suite 2000

MichelleC
09-11-2002, 04:53 PM
When we had to get a new hard drive, we had all our old software installed. the computer place couldn't find our cd key.
It's 25 digits long.
On the front of our Microsoft works suite 2000 there is a Certificate of Authenticity, but the only thing on it is a product ID number that is 20 digits and the letters OEM are part of the code.
I've tried to ask for help on the microsoft website, but I haven't been having success.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

SoniKalien
09-11-2002, 05:18 PM
That would usually be the code you enter. Have you tried it?

SiK

Bazza
10-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Have you got the booklet "Discovering MS Word" that came with Works Suite 2000?

I believe the correct 25 digit product key is on the front of that booklet.

MichelleC
10-11-2002, 02:08 PM
I tried that code, and another 20 digit code that the computer place gave me, but that didn't work either

MichelleC
10-11-2002, 02:12 PM
We never received a booklet with the works suite, and the place where we originally got our computer from has since closed.

Bazza
10-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Thats unfortunate Michelle. You have discovered, like I did that the 20 digit OEM ID's dont work.

The correct one is the 25 digit ID on the booklet. It was very remiss of the supplier not to include it.

There is little you can do, except appeal to MS. Possibly if you quote the ID from the certif of authenticity on the CD case, they may be satisfied you are the legal owner, and supply the proper 25 digit ID.

Good luck.

MichelleC
10-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Is there any phone number or email address for Microsoft that doesn't charge for help?
I went to the Microsoft New Zealand website and it looks like there is a charge of at least $35 for help.

Capt Jimbo
10-11-2002, 02:58 PM
It's unlikely Microsoft will ofer any free help for an OEM version
They're real good like that (not)

Jen C
10-11-2002, 04:48 PM
I would ring Microsoft in Auckland anyway. It is not your fault the proper key wasn't provided.

Microsoft Technical Support: (09) 357 5575

From the Microsoft NZ website (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com/directory/worldwide/en-nz/personal/default.htm):

"Free Support - Installation (and reinstallation)"
"This is defined as problems relating to the installation, re-installation or upgrade of a Microsoft product. Criteria and conditions for Installation support are as follows:

Customer cannot run the setup program
Customer can no longer use features previously working before an upgrade ....." and so on.

Jen

godfather
10-11-2002, 05:04 PM
But OEM software support is not provided by MS.

If you can find someone with a valid Key, from another copy, it should work. They keys are not specific to the disk as far as I know.

Baldy
10-11-2002, 05:04 PM
> We never received a booklet with the works suite, and
> the place where we originally got our computer from
> has since closed.

What brand of computer have you got.

I have a Packard Bell, and just emailed them direct for stuff to do with my PC.

I know you said that the place you brought your PC has closed down, but if its a known brand - eg HP, Compaq, Packard Bell, IBM etc - email the manufacturer direct.

BALDY:-)

MichelleC
11-11-2002, 03:26 PM
My brother seems to think our computer is an IBM, the place where we got our computer from is one where they take parts and then put them together, so not really too sure what it is.
I'm gonna try ring the techinical support anyway, hope they can give us a cd key, I think they should since we have the certificate of authenticity.

godfather
11-11-2002, 05:03 PM
It will be a generic "no brand" computer (IBM compatable) but unlikely to be an IBM.

I wouldnt expect too much from MS, they have no legal obligation and would probably not want to set a precendent.

Good luck though.

It would be much better if you could get a valid number from someone else, its not illegal as you own the licence.

MichelleC
11-11-2002, 08:29 PM
Thanks for everyone's help.
Bazza gave me his 25 digit code, and it worked, so my problem is fixed.
:)

robinchittenden
13-01-2008, 02:00 AM
When we had to get a new hard drive, we had all our old software installed. the computer place couldn't find our cd key.
It's 25 digits long.
On the front of our Microsoft works suite 2000 there is a Certificate of Authenticity, but the only thing on it is a product ID number that is 20 digits and the letters OEM are part of the code.
I've tried to ask for help on the microsoft website, but I haven't been having success.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Thanks for everyone's help.
Bazza gave me his 25 digit code, and it worked, so my problem is fixed.
:)

I have a similar problem wanting to load Microsoft Works Suite 2000 on to Vista. I would be most grateful if you could email me a product ID number.

Thanks

Robin
robin@harlequinpictures.co.uk

beeswax34
13-01-2008, 02:27 AM
I have a similar problem wanting to load Microsoft Works Suite 2000 on to Vista. I would be most grateful if you could email me a product ID number.

Thanks

Robin
robin@harlequinpictures.co.uk

Welcome to PressF1.

We cannot provide you with a Product Key to a product that you have no legal right to AND please do not post your personal email address in your thread. This is for your own convenience and security.

Please do read the forum rules as they will give you a guide to what is and isn't allowed on this forum. Thanks :)