PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Disk

csinclair83
08-11-2002, 11:20 AM
As we get computers these days, thy come with recovery disk to "reset" computer back to what it was like when it was in the box..(everything installed, or pre-installed)

I saved my downloads and everyhting on to disk and my documents..
and then reformatted last nite,...and got a nice clean perfect computer now..
but have noticed...
Nortons antivirus aint there
star suite or soemthing (its like office..hope someone knows what i on about) and i've got a gut feeling that theres a few more thigns missing...
Even the search doesnt work..like when i want a file search it tells me to reinstall windows as installation mite have not completed correctly..
ANd this is the first time I've used the recovery disk...its been sitting in a box in its own lil plastic bag and sealed...unopened...
Is there a chance its corrupted? or something?...

I've had to use my friends nortons antivirus and office xp but will remove those once i get my own back..

And if its corrupted..what do i do? coz theres no way i gonna reformat with knowing i ahve a floppy disk thats practically corrupted..

Running winxp home, 256mb ram, 20gb hard drive..packard bell computer :-) with dvd/cd-rw

Hope someone can help, tell me what i should do now..

I am guessing contact the manufacturer..but..will they do nefing?

Chris

godfather
08-11-2002, 11:53 AM
It sounds like a corrupt install, most unlikely to be a corrupt CD though, or it wouldnt have installed.

Star Office will not likely be on the recovery CD, its freeware and would have been installed later?

OEM stuff like Nortons could be on a separate CD, or part of the recovery.

I would do a repair first, as the recovery process will have installed copies of the CAB files to your hard drive.

csinclair83
08-11-2002, 12:30 PM
So what do i do?
Also would i lose nefing i reinstalled?

godfather
08-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Start with:

START - RUN - then type sfc /scannow in the dialogue box

Thats sfc <space>/scannow
You wont lose anything by doing it.

Graham L
08-11-2002, 03:33 PM
What was this "recovery disk" ? You have mentioned a floppy. That would just boot to DOS, and run a batch file to reinstall your system, using what is strored on a backup area of your hard disk.

Formatting the hard disk might not be a good idea.:-( If you did a format, the recovery area must be a separate partition,which means that you were lucky. ;-) Or did the script ask you to put in a recovery CD? A floppy does not hold enough to restore a Windows installation.

Star Office would probably be included on a PC manufacturer's CD.

It is a very Good Idea to read the handbook befiore doing something as major as reformatting and reinstalling. You did keep all the manuals which came with the computer?

csinclair83
08-11-2002, 03:54 PM
I readed it, and it said that 4mb out of the 20 is left aside for the windows files etc..
and it had instructions on how to format, and when i formatted it asked for the recovery disk.,.

the only other cds i got were games..

Graham L
08-11-2002, 04:06 PM
The Norton's AV might have been a time-limited trial version, which the PC manufacturer mi ght not be allowed to put on a CD for you. Star Office is available free ... possibly from PC World (?), or on a PC World CD.

I don't think you've got corrupted disks. ;-)

wotz
08-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Sounds like a PC Company restore disk. It restores winows only and misses all the other things like AV, cd-rw software, etc. Get a nice clean install with everything you need and then make an image with ghost or drive image.