PDA

View Full Version : detect network settings

johnboy
08-11-2002, 10:59 AM
W hen a web page do.snt connect and says like page can,t be found etc. on that page it says
If your network administrator has enabled it ,microsoft can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings. if you would like windows to try and dicover them , click
Detect network settings...
i really would like this to happen when i click it but it doesnt how can i make it so ... ta

godfather
08-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Are you on a network?

johnboy
08-11-2002, 06:44 PM
should i be

godfather
08-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Do you always answer a question with a question?

The "page not found" triggers a possible scenario you have entered an incorrect network address?

IE is used across networks in IntRAnets as well as IntERnets.

If you are not on a network, do you expect it to resolve a network setting that does not exist?

johnboy
08-11-2002, 08:28 PM
thanks anyway

merlin-nz
08-11-2002, 08:42 PM
John take my word for it, you are not on a network.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

johnboy
08-11-2002, 08:55 PM
have you been looking in your crsytal ball again..i,m confusing myself again i was hoping i could click on detect network settings and it would be able to tell me why it was,nt connecting .. sorry ..

Heather P
08-11-2002, 09:14 PM
There are 2 sorts of networks - internal ones and external ones. The microsoft message applies to internal ones.

When you are on the web (external network) a file not found means it's not there. Reasons for it not showing are usually one of the following:
- the page was listed in the search engine but in the meantime the page has been deleted by the page owner
- the server the page is on is down at the moment (temporarily crashed or turned off)

If it applies to all pages - you're connection is down. Disconnect, reconnect and try again. If it stays down your ISP might have temporarily fallen over. Try again later.

johnboy
08-11-2002, 09:23 PM
thanks thats what i wanted

merlin-nz
08-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Sorry johnboy, the ball is getting fairly old now. :D
Bugger though there was only one kind of network. ?:| :8}
The one where you have to have more than one computer.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Heather P. ;-)

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

Graham L
09-11-2002, 02:48 PM
You can run a network on one computer, merlin-nz. I've often used a browser to access a web server on the same machine. And I frequently telnet to the same machine.

Very fast response :D