PDA

View Full Version : Laptop RAM

ianmcdonald
07-11-2002, 03:20 PM
I recently bought a 128mb ram chip for my 2 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop. What I thought would happen is that I would power it down, put in the chip, and on powering up the bios would recognise the new memory and all would be well.
What actually happened is that when the computer restarts it goes directly to the opeing "Toshiba" splash screen and doesn't seem to do a memory check and offer the chance of pushing "Del" to get into setup like most desktops do. So, there's a 128mb chip in the computer, but I've only got access to the pathetic 32mb it came with.
Anybody got any bright ideas?

Graham L
07-11-2002, 03:28 PM
There may be a BIOS setup programme on the disk, rather than one in the ROM. Have a browse of the root directory (c:\), looking for any file with "setup" or "tosh" as part of its name, or a directory with such a name.

ianmcdonald
07-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Boy, quick reply!
I had a look, and found a folder called "Toshiba", but it only contained mouse related stuff.
However, I went searching and found a prog called "tdiags.exe" in the Windows folder.
I tried running it, but got an error message like "Cannot run in virtual dos mode" (or words to that effect). So I restarted in DOS mode and got the same message.
So I booted from a DOS bootup disk which let me run the prog, but all I got were some hardware diagnostic tests - display, hdd, fdd etc.
So, any more ideas?

Graham L
07-11-2002, 03:54 PM
That looks as if I'm on the right track. No "tsetup"? Toshiba will have it available for download ... a BIOS setup has to be available if it's on the hard disk and you lose the hard disk. I bought an old Tandy laptop. Hard disk "not present". I got the setup programme, ran it and there was the hard disk. :D

ianmcdonald
07-11-2002, 04:11 PM
...and a bit more sleuthing after a Google search for "Toshiba faq" brought the discovery to...
Power down
Power up holding down the "Esc" key
When prompted, press "F1" (Hmm, a familiar ring...) and we're into the bios setup.

Unfortunately, no apparent way of 'autodetecting' memory, or checking it, or manually altering the amount installed.

So my $99 chip sits uselessly there. I can take the whole thing to the shop, but I'd rather find a simple and elegant solution on this forum...

Graham L
07-11-2002, 04:19 PM
My google search for "tsetup.exe" gives a few responses. The third one: ("Toshiba bios updates (Toshiba drivers)") has tsetup.exe for quite a few models of Satellite laptops. Might be worth a look (also bios updates, perhaps).

If you can plug memory in, you ought to be able to use it ;-). Though my Tandy is limited (by "design"). It has 2 MB on the motherboard, and 2 30 pin SIMM sockets. I put in 2 1MBs for 4total, then found some 4MBs. But the address lines aren't there. Tandy specs say "expandible to 4MB" :_| I could put Linux on it if I could have 10 MB.

rayonline
07-11-2002, 04:45 PM
go onlline or read ur manual. make sure u have correct type, and the right MB size. toshiba www should have bios and embedded controller updates.

Rayonline

Jen C
07-11-2002, 05:44 PM
What about going back to basics. Is the new RAM recognised by itself without the old RAM being present? If it is, try switching positions of the cards - new RAM in old RAM slot and vice versa.

Probably completely wrong here - but thought it worth a mention as this has worked for me (with a desktop PC).

BIFF
07-11-2002, 06:16 PM
I'd say your outta luck. I have had this with Toshiba's before. If they don't find the RAM first time chances are they wont work with it.

godfather
07-11-2002, 09:52 PM
I have a toshiba of similar vintage.
I had problems, but all were fixed when I cleaned the new RAM edge connectors with a pencil eraser. Recognised it and works fine.