PDA

View Full Version : Computer cyclic restart

nicnz
06-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Hi,

I've just installed a new graphics card in the computer. It worked fine but crashed midway through installing a game that came with it, and then keps restarting a various stages before the Windows Xp login screen.

I've just checked and the power supply is only 230V. Is it most likely that the power supply is causing the problem? I asked my supplier if the motherboard supported the graphics card and they said it would. There is only a cd-rom drive, and network card, two hard drives, floppy drive, and RAM. The monitor runs off a seperate power supply.

Any clues?

Merlin
06-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Yes.

If you cannot start Windows in any mode, reinstall in a directory with a different name to the default.

Backup (copy) your important data to a seperate hard drive and do a complete installation including repartitioning.

If any installation fails due to - possibly - the graphics card, replace with a card that is known to work with XP on a system like yours. If that is successful, return to the supplier for assistance. If replacement of the graphics card is not successful, start looking for a hardware problem and/or HCL problem.

roofus
06-11-2002, 09:18 PM
What makes you think this is a hardware problem? The computer crashed most likely because of a software conflict.
All appliances in NZ run on 230 volts. It is the Wattage that is important. If its between 250-300w you will be fine. But 230volts is not what your looking for.

Now if you had a rescue disk you could use this to well umm rescue the computer. But obviously this is not an option now. To save your self greif. Reinstall windows.

nicnz
06-11-2002, 09:48 PM
Ooops, I feel foolish... I'm not sure what how many watts the power supply is with taking off the cover again.

I managed to get it to load windows again after powering off for a couple of minutes. After trying to install the program again, the same problem occured, so have given up trying to install it.

n