PDA

View Full Version : is ddr ram that much better than sdram?

Term_X
06-11-2002, 07:58 PM
okay i know ddr ram has twice the front side bus speed as sdram..thats 266mhz vs 133mhz..but is there a significant increase n performance with ddr ram?..does it depend on how many programs u run..someone give me the lowdown!!

Crunn
06-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Short answer, yes. It's a bit of a cheat to say you get twice the speed, nothing is that simple, but the speed boost is very real. So much so that "ordinary" SDRAM is now being phased out and can certainly cost more than the DDR. Does it mean you can open more programme, etc. ? Nope, as the speed of the RAM is irrelevant. The saying is, "there is no substitute for cubic inches (car engines)". Same with RAM, there is no substitute for as much RAM as you can stuff in your system or, of course, afford !! (Some caveats there, as at one time giving the system too much RAM caused it to get quite intolerant and refuse to recognise the extra RAM or plain drop dead ! I think most of these problems have been solved now. Now doubt when terrabytes of RAM are commonplace M$ will still be behind and refuse to recognise it !!)

tweak\'e
06-11-2002, 08:19 PM
it depends on the prgrams you are useing and the speed of the cpu. with high end cpus (eg over 1ghz) and games graphics progs it makes a big difference.

don't forget the pc only runs as fast as the bottleneck will let it.

kiwibeat
06-11-2002, 09:24 PM
it can give you a 10 to 15 % increase in speed which is really only vital for these doing heavy video rendering or number crunching

tweak\'e
06-11-2002, 09:39 PM
mmmm....10-15% increase for minimal cost. why botherwith sdram?? also its actually getting hard to find sdram motherboards as older socket 370 and early athos are obsolete. only a few budget motherboards have sdram slots.