PDA

View Full Version : Logon recycling

future
06-11-2002, 07:08 PM
I have been asked to have a look at a W2K Box; At the moment when you go to logon after entering the username and the password the Logon window closes and then flashes back on again waiting for username and passsword. There is a window that flashes up in between but it is too fast to read. my guess is it is an error but I can't read it.

Any cunning ideas? I can boot in with the W2K boot disks but not sure what there is I can do when I get there as i don't have an ERD.

Future

Merlin
06-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Insufficient information.

Fully describe the OS type, whether on a network, what type of network if part of a network, hardware brief, and any other items relevant.

Even magic spells require a target.

Jen C
06-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Future, is any of this applicable .......

"After you try to log on to your Windows 2000-based computer by using a valid user name and password, the Loading your personal settings dialog box is displayed, followed by the Saving your settings dialog box. However, the desktop does not appear, and the Welcome to Windows logon screen is displayed again."

If so, resolution found here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q249321&) at Microsoft KB.

future
09-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Jen C Thaks that is exactly what is happening.

Fdisk /mbr was unfortunately spectacularily a backwards step. Now there is no boot up at all, 'Missing Operating System'. I suspect the Fat32 fdisk command couldn't find the NTFS partitions. My Next trick will be to convert the NTFS partitions to Fat32 and try fdisk /mbr again.

I posted this reply a couple of days ago but F1 seems to have lost my reply. Will post further followups on the next phase of the adventure.

future

Graham L
09-11-2002, 02:36 PM
I hope there's nothing important on the disk. Did Microsoft recommend "fdisk /mbr" ?

That description looks to me as if it had lost the passwords, or the passwords were forgotten.

You might be able to mount the disk on another computer running W2k., and recover any data. Then reinstall the OS. AND MAKE THE RECOVERY DISK. Why do people ignore the advice to make such a disk? It will happen to them.

That might be a safer procedure than trying to convert the partitions.

Merlin
09-11-2002, 04:29 PM
"Missing Operating System" is usually an Award BIOS error message when an operating system cannot be located after POST and the MBR has run.

Towards the end of the MBR sequence, the MBR program searches for partitions, number and type of partitions, an active partition and finally operating system boot files in the active partition. If these are not present, or unable to be located, the error message "Missing Operating System" is displayed.

Reasons for the files to "disappear" are many.
Solutions are simple.
Either recover the backup boot sector and use that to rewrite the boot sector, or
Use a data recovery programme to recover data and then reinstall the operating system and application software.

It is highly improbable - given the problem description - that any data will appear on any partitions, regardless of how the partitions are formatted. If data is present, the problem description is incorrect.

future
10-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Update on the action;
Last post I had 'Missing Operating System'
Since then I have tried Booting into RecoveryConsole and tried 'fixmbr'. Well the result of that excercise was now the message is 'System disk not found, please insert system disk....' Good stuff but not good enough. Using fdisk to change the active partition made no difference. So will try 'fixboot' out of the recovery console next. When I booted into the Partion Magic rescue disk it would lock up when I tried to convert NTFS to FAt32 so that scheme was a failure. To get the recovery console going you have to give the administrator password and that works so I am reasonably confident that all the data and operating system are ok, all I have is a hosed boot sector, so maybe "fixboot' will do the business.
There are Cashbook file on the disk but apparently they are backed up onto another computer so I am not incredibly worried. It is now a personal challenge to me to lick the problem. Besides it makes me look good if I can win B-)