PDA

View Full Version : Compaq motherboards

Wayne_Haussmann
06-11-2002, 02:19 PM
I have compaq presario 5050 with intergrated video board that wont go after lightning. Can any aftermarket motherboard fit the presario case or do I have to stick with compaq products?

Graham L
06-11-2002, 02:24 PM
I have a suspicion that Compaq like to be "different". Have you got a free PCI slot to fit a video card? Compaq are usually pretty good about having a map of the board inside the cover, showing where the jumpers are; including one to disable the onboard video.

Mike
06-11-2002, 02:24 PM
What, the motherboard won't go, or the video adapter doesn't go?

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
06-11-2002, 02:25 PM
Most MB's are cross compatible, provided its not one of those Small-Form-Factor ones that are miniature. You should be fine!

Chilling_Silence
06-11-2002, 02:26 PM
I agree though, simply adding a new PCI graphics card should automatically over-ride the onboard, worked for me when tried on two mc's!
PCI graphics cards can be picked up for about $10 from trade me for a 2 Meg S3 Trio card which are good enough for most apps (Not 3D gaming however)!

Chilling_Silence
06-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Its my understanding that its relatively new... (Less that 2 years at least)
Any new motherboard should work, although It may have an AGP slot, which would be even better (3D Gaming!!!!)
AGP would be the dark brown colored slot, closest to all the onboard perhiperals

tweak\'e
06-11-2002, 04:04 PM
if you are replacing the motherboard just be carefull as some compaqs use custom pugs and sometimes even custom powersupplys.

some of the desktop models you will have to use compaq board.

Graham L
06-11-2002, 04:08 PM
As I said, Copmaq like to be different. Don't assume that an "industry standard" motherboard will fit a Compaq box. The box might be made to a Compaq standard. :D