PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro and Java

chiefnz
06-11-2002, 01:05 AM
I've been using Win XP for quite some time now and have been quite happy with it's peformance thus far. However, having said that it does have one problem.... Win XP's support of java applets totally sucks. I've just installed the new SP1 and I was happy to get all those security fixes done. The problem now is whenever I click a link which has "javascript" in it nothing happens. I even installed Opera to see what would happen and lo and behold the exact same thing... which ruled out IE as the problem and made XP look like the culprit.

My questions are....

Is there any place I can make sure XP will run javascripts (other than the IE options which I have enabled)?

Can I download a separately installable Java machine like we could in the "good ol days" ?

Explain to me why Microsoft developed an OS (Win XP) that does not natively support a widely used language such as java or the scripts based on java.... especially in today's Internet driven world?

Mike
06-11-2002, 08:28 AM
>>> Can I download a separately installable Java machine like we could in the "good ol days"

The Microsoft Java Virtual Machine is included in Windows XP's SP1, so you should have it installed, so there must be another setting somewhere that you've overlooked.

>>> Explain to me why Microsoft developed an OS (Win XP) that does
>>> not natively support a widely used language such as java or the
>>> scripts based on java.... especially in today's Internet driven world?

Sun Corporation (the people who make Java) took Microsoft to court over how they distributed Java with Windows, and they won. Microsoft were now not allowed to distribute Java with their operating systems, except for the one version they already had, which was quite old, and in protest Microsoft decided not to include it with Windows XP (I think that's how the story goes ;)). SP1 though has it included, so this should now be working for you (unless you were meaning you've got the IE6 SP installed rather than the Win XP SP).

Do another check through the Internet Options in IE6 in the Security settings tab, and also in the Advanced options tab. Make sure you don't have Java disabled under the security options.

HTH

Mike.

bmason
06-11-2002, 09:40 AM
> Sun Corporation (the people who make Java) took
> Microsoft to court over how they distributed Java
> with Windows, and they won. Microsoft were now not
> allowed to distribute Java with their operating
> systems, except for the one version they already had,
> which was quite old, and in protest Microsoft decided
> not to include it with Windows XP (I think that's how
> the story goes ;)). SP1 though has it included, so
> this should now be working for you (unless you were
> meaning you've got the IE6 SP installed rather than
> the Win XP SP).
>

It was because MS added Windows only features to their JVM which was against the licensing agreement with Sun because Java is supposed to be able to run on any system with a JVM and the windows extensions made it incompatable. Now MS aren't allowed to add any new features to their JVM, only bug fixes.

mashimaro
06-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Java Virtual Machine can be found in this months PC World CD :^O

segfault
06-11-2002, 01:34 PM
I would highly recommend getting Java 1.4.1 from www.sun.com.

The reason java does not come with Windows is because MS are trying to push .NET. And Sun took them to court because MS distributed their own crippled (and very old!) version of Java.