PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Layout

Miami Steve
05-11-2002, 03:08 PM
I have just purchased a new 80Gb HDD for my home computer, to add to the 20Gb HDD that is already installed. I am planning to set it up to dual-boot Win2K and Win98SE. I was planning on partitioning the 80Gb drive into 2 partitions - one with each OS, and using the 20Gb drive for all my data, downloads etc.

Questions:
1. If I format the Win2K partition as NTFS and install Norton SW 2003 on it, can I use Norton Utilities to scan the Fat32 partitions (Win98 and Data), or should I just format all as Fat32, for compatibility?
2. Alternatively, can I install Norton SW twice on the same machine - one for each OS?
3. Is the planned split the best? I have been told (though I am sceptical), that copying data between partitions on the same physical drive is quicker than copying between 2 physical drives. Is this true? Surely with disk to disk, data can still be read from one disk while it is being written to the other, whereas with same disk copies, the heads have to alternate between reading and writing.

Your thoughts would be appreciated......

Cheers
Miami

Chilling_Silence
05-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Yes, Yes, and again, Yes.

Both drives will act as independant PC's to a certain degree.

All progs will need to be installed twice, once on each drive that the OS is on (eg. 1x on Drive C that has 98SE and 1x on Drive D that runs Win2K).

There should be some stuff in the FAQ's also about this

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

~qwerty
05-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Norton Utilities can still scan the FAT32 partition even if it's installed on NTFS.

The order of Installation is important. You'll have to have Win98SE as the boot drive (C:) formatted in FAT32 then you'll install Win2k on it's own partition afterwards and Win2k should find Win98 and suggest using a multiboot setup.

You'll need to install the software on each OS as some software is written specifically for that OS and SysWorks has an NT and Win32 installation for different OS.

As for the 3rd question. Moving data on the same partition is quicker than moving that data over onto a different partition. Moving between partitions on the same drive is also quicker than another moving it to another physical drive.