PDA

View Full Version : Norton Anti-Virus Pro 2002

KiwiNzl
04-11-2002, 09:37 PM
I am running the above AV service on my system and I am not protected against the W32.Appix.D.Worm, yet the Live Update says that everything is upto date.

Yet this virus doesn't appear in my list of viruses that I am protected against.

Anyone got any ideas, I tried to find a support email address at Symantec but they where hopeless.

Regards,

Brutus

Heather P
04-11-2002, 09:47 PM
It was discovered only 4 days ago - 31st Oct 2002. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.appix.d.worm.html

My Norton 2002 last updated on the 30th Oct - so I guess I'm not protected from it either.

Norton usually release definitions every Wednesday. Seriously major new bugs are released as soon as they have found the antidote.

The above link shows how to remove it if you have got it.

billa
05-11-2002, 07:18 AM
if a virus has got in your system before your live update - norton probably doesnt recognise it. i.e. bearbug until you fester it out of your system somehow.
just get a standalone fix from symantec.com (normally fits on a floppy) and boot into safe mode by pressing F8 before the windows screen comes up when you turn on your PC.
Run the fix in safe mode and it should pick up the virus.

Heather P
05-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Anti-virus programs are not 100% foolproof and should be used carefully.

A friend just sent me a "virus warning".
The subject was "Fw: Worst New Virus Alert", there was a 2 line comment from my friend, a couple of previous comments from the people who forwarded it to her and... an attachment.

My reply is as follows (note that I have been teaching her how to use a computer in recent months and she's a friend!):

Lesson number 39. Do not believe everything you read on the web and
PARTICULARLY do NOT open attachments that look like this one!

When you received the email what did you do? Quickly opened the attachment to see what it said?

What did I do when I received the attachment?
Thought seriously about not opening it (but figured maybe this time I would in case I got a chance to say "I told you so").
Went off to the Symantec site to see if "Worst New" appeared in the extended virus list - it didn't.
Saved the attachment to disk.
Did a virus check on the file with Nortons - clean.
Opened it (reluctantly)
Read the attachment
Went back to the Symantec site and searched under viruses then hoaxes (jokes would have been next).

Read all about it
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/flower.for.you.html
Deleted it.

This one was a hoax, others can be viruses masquerading as warnings. There is one doing the rounds that says none of the anti-virus people can detect this virus - install this "patch" immediately to prevent getting it. Guess what? The "patch" IS the virus.

General comment - check for fishy smells before opening attachments. If there is even a whiff of fish - go paranoid!

Heather P
05-11-2002, 07:51 PM
... so much for copying and pasting out of emails. Would pay to "Preview" it before posting when there is a link involved! Memory add....