PDA

View Full Version : Is ihug a DOG or WHAT !?

Woof
01-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Is it just me or do other ihug customers find that since the last school holidays ihug's performance has been a downright dog ?

Repetitive busy signals when trying to connect, spontaneous disconnects while in the middle of downloading large pdf emails and just plain downright slow patchy and sometimes zeero throughput ? Even ingress, egress congestion and first local router busy ...

I've been with them for years and sufferered with them through the busy school holiday periods , especially Christmas/summer but this is just the pits

Clearly I'm not happy and past experience has made me sceptical of complaining ( I don't want any more black marks on file ) so I guess I'm on the market for an ISP that delivers

Bye Bye Ginge

tweak\'e
01-11-2002, 10:05 PM
paradise has been touchy to. a lot of isp have problems in school holidays. mayby the kids should go out and enjoy some sunshine. lololol

floppy
01-11-2002, 10:11 PM
There have been many complaints concerning the services which Paradise Net (http://www.paradise.net.nz/) provides, however I personally have never found their service’s to be bad, I have been overly very happy.

The reason why I believe there have been many complaints about Paradise net is because faults are just so uncommon. I have been with them for over 5 years and their services have done nothing apart from improving. And their plans/fee has gone down (not like those greedy guys at Telecom’s Xtra).

I do believe Orcon (http://www.orcon.net.nz/) provides a very high service, if you want to pay their high prices. If I was considering joining Orcon I would join their NEW subsidiary ‘Hyper Net’ (http://www.hyper.net.nz/) (powered by Orcon) – there shouldn’t be any different in services from Orcon and Hyper net, because you ‘should’ dial into the same dial in pool.

We are just luckily living in New Zealand, were we have a highly competitive Internet service market, unlike many other parts of the world. ‘Exercise your right to change’.

If you do decide to ‘discontinue’ your custom with Ihug, write them a letter (send it by post, they usually take more notice – that way. And address it to ‘head of customer services’) and detail your complaint and mention you would like a refund for the months you have received poor service.

==
Join Kiwibank - http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/

vk_dre
01-11-2002, 10:32 PM
the performance has been slow, i my self have experienced it and am a bit annoyed, when i wrote to them they said that it was due to people who were on ADSL and downloading way more than the limit, and thus bringing the whole server to lower limits per user. Wot they say might be true, but u never know.

cheers,
v.K

csinclair83
01-11-2002, 10:35 PM
i use ihug for t2v.co.nz only..
and they are slow in replying to enquiry emails

SoniKalien
01-11-2002, 10:57 PM
all I can say is good luck in finding a perfect ISP. Every dog has its days, and the current state of affairs in NZ do not allow the establishment of decent net access.

-=JM=-
01-11-2002, 11:04 PM
at the moment there are some troubles with some ISPs. Clear, Paradise and SNAP have been caching some pages a bit too much.

To the point of some people getting logged in as others at forums. Though it may not be just those ISPs, there is something funny happening.

-=JM=-
01-11-2002, 11:04 PM
at the moment there are some troubles with some ISPs. Clear, Paradise and SNAP have been caching some pages a bit too much.

To the point of some people getting logged in as others at forums. Though it may not be just those ISPs, there is something funny happening.

-=JM=-
01-11-2002, 11:06 PM
Some ISPs have been having trouble lately.

I know of a few people being logged in as others at websites.

-=JM=-
01-11-2002, 11:07 PM
woops sorry people

crozier
01-11-2002, 11:23 PM
What was that JM? I didn't quite get what you said ;)

Baldy
01-11-2002, 11:41 PM
I have been with Xtra since I brought my computer.

* No busy signals
* Connect first time, everytime.
* Excellent Help Desk
* Nice steady/fast download speeds on dial-up

I know everyone likes to bag the big companies, but it mystifies me why everyone thinks Telecom is the ogre here.

Whats with the Kiwibank message Floppy?

BALDY:-)

crozier
02-11-2002, 12:00 AM
I had several problems with Xtra a few years back, and their helpdesk sucked - they seemed to think that everyone was an idiot until they proved otherwise (reminds me of HP). To me that seems the wrong way around.

Anyway, last year I bought a modem which came with a months free internet and no connection fee (with Xtra). So I thought I'd give them another go. They told me that they were experiencing problems (and, if I remember correctly it was Auckland anniversiary weekend) so I gave them 4 days to sort themselves out. At which time I told them to forget it. But theystill tried to bill me for a month even though a) the forst month should have been free, and b) I never even got an account set up, let alone dialed in. So I will never give Xtra another go.

As to why why everyone thinks Telecom is the ogre is he same reason as MS gets the same label... it's called tall opy syndrome.

Clueless
02-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Well i'm happy with my cable-paradise connection

na na, nana nah

(awaiting for those unhappy with someone being happy to moan as they certainly will at some point)

.Clueless

sal
02-11-2002, 02:12 AM
maybe thats why i have been having to reconnect several times lately to get a 'good connection' of around 32k ?:|, damn ihug

grtz sal.
tga

rmcb
02-11-2002, 08:13 AM
We use http://www.slingshot.co.nz
$15.00 per month unlimited, no busy signals, and as quick as anyone else.

roofus
02-11-2002, 08:27 AM
It,s good to see you can get good service from slingshot rmcb.
Most of us have experienced slingshot at sometime, but when something does go wrong you will find that they suck.
Also slingshot is as fast as the rest when its not between the times of 5pm to 10pm. Sure you can connect at 52k but it doesn't mean you can download that fast.

ihug and xtra do generally provide good service, they sound like dumbarses sometimes because they have so many people and so have to make sure everything from the begining is ok (hence why you'd get an automated message telling you to check your init strings etc)

Think of those customer service reps as been us helpers on pressf1. Most of us know to explain the problem clearly to get a good reply. But a newbie doesn't he just says his computers crashed. Those customer reps have to deal with the same thing. Except they aren't able to distinguish between the knowledgeable and the not.
(Sure there are exceptions to this, but you get the guist)

Also in regards to the first reply, of which this topic is about. Have you thought of investigating things at your end?

floppy
02-11-2002, 09:31 AM
I would also steer clear of reasonably small companies; often they can’t afford the same hardware and technology as the big corporate can. Many of the small companies are franchised also of middle sized ISPs.

==
Join Kiwibank - http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/

crozier
02-11-2002, 10:34 AM
oops, I meant tall poppy syndrome.... it was fat too late for me to be up ;)

Clueless
02-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Ihug was my ISP for about 5 years, i left them for the telstra-cable package when i decided i wanted better speed than dial up could give.

However a "dial up" ISP i found them very reliable and moved a shipload of data through them while connected 24/7

.Clueless

Baldy
02-11-2002, 10:59 AM
> and moved a shipload of data through them while
> connected 24/7
>
> .Clueless

What ship?...... not the one that went aground in Bluff harbour.

Clueless
02-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Off tpic bit
>shipload

......is what a spellchecker once told me in responce to me typing something a little differant.

Seeing the spellcheck was a M$ office product, and we all know that Big Bill is always right, i have spelt my word that way ever since.

On topic bit
All ISPs have bad days... (even mine)
Still, i'd check your end..
By memory the few times that ihug were unable to connect me, there was a recorded message, not a buzy signal, and the spontanious disconnect sounds alot like problems at home.

.Clueless

sam m
02-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Well Clueless you did ask for it (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21832&message=58839&q=cable+problems#58839).

very happy wth Xtra and jetstream - asked friend about their ihug connection which they have been with for 7 years. Still pumping at 33k (their max modem speed, can u believe he still has a 33k modem).

sam m

Heather P
02-11-2002, 01:10 PM
>>they seemed to think that everyone was an idiot until they proved otherwise

Well, for a bit of light entertainment on the subject go listen to:
Welcome to the Internet Help Desk (http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/698/698011.html)

Incidentally, I tried to post this this morning but ihug were dropping the connection almost faster than I could connect. Left it for a couple of hours and now, fingers crossed, it's working.

Why can't they show problems on their home page? If there was a message saying "We have problems - give us an hour or two" (with an estimated time) it would be far less frustrating!

Did get to their page, briefly, and it sits their smugly not warning of problems. Do I assume it is me and restart? Do I disconnect and try again? Do I give up for a while? - or do I try all of the above?

I wish the technicians would THINK about communicating with customers!

wuppo
02-11-2002, 03:24 PM
> Join Kiwibank - http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/

Why would you want to? I took one of my kids to the postshop to open her first bank account. When we finally got to the front of the queue, I was told I had to make an appointment for an interview to open a Kiwibank account. We went over the road to the ASB where an account was opened in a few minutes at the helpdesk.

Perhaps Postshop should stick to selling stamps. Heaven help us if they decide to become an ISP. :|

Oxie
02-11-2002, 04:58 PM
I have been with IHUG around 7 years now. In the early days it was common not to be able to connect for 45 minutes of trying. The service has improved 100% over the years. Earlier this year I went over to jetstream with IHUG and I am not regretting it one little bit. May the good times continue.

Clueless
02-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Sam M.....

Hey guess what????
They fixed it!

.Clueless

future
02-11-2002, 07:44 PM
> I have been with IHUG around 7 years now. In the
> early days it was common not to be able to connect
> for 45 minutes of trying. The service has improved
> 100% over the years. Earlier this year I went over
> to jetstream with IHUG and I am not regretting it one
> little bit. May the good times continue.

Ditto Oxie
JUst the cheap ADSL but OOOOH soooo much nore fun

Furure

Woof
03-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Thanks (to those who posted ON topic)

NO thanks to those who posted SPAM such as that kiwibank b*l*s*i*- it's spam like that that wastes bandwidth

WHY should I lift a finger at this end when I KNOW nothing has changed and ESPECIALLY because I have a "dashboard" program that clear diagnoses the problems at IHUG end ( "Even ingress, egress congestion and first local router busy ..." )

And WHY should it be any excuse that a whole bunch of ADSL or whatever users are overdiung it ? Are they so small that they cannot partition their capacity to stream those overdoingit to and FAIR amount of resource/capacity and stream us to our own partition of FAIR amount of resource/capacity ?

As for Xtra/Telecom as the token "system administrator" at my place of employment MY experience there emphatically confirms my own personal experiences over the years . Yes, we have Jetstream at the office but at enormouse cost when Telecom/Xtra stuffed up the account and NO-ONE there would take ANY responsibility and continually and repetatively dragged us through the case from the begining without dealing with the issue for so long we nearly sued !!!!!!!! Personally I have actually had a Telecom technician admit (off record) that Telecom had been doing absolutely nothing to fix my problem even though they repeatedly advised me that they had, until he came onto my case ...... WHY trust Telecom/Xtra ever again !

The problem is at IHUG - it's become a DOG once again and they will be losing another customer this month.

No - I will NOT personally advise them - because of the tall poppy syndrome I know from personal experince that these organisations record far to much in a personal MANNER that further contributes to the continuing prejudging that goes on far to often (personal experience with Telecom, the power company, the city council = they call it black marks on your file, marks that are not on files provided under the Privacy Act)

Ginge got lost years ago and ihug has become a dog

Clueless
03-11-2002, 08:37 PM
ummm Woof...

Please don't insult dogs.
Some of the nicest people i know are dogs.

.Clueless

Baldy
03-11-2002, 11:25 PM
> Well Clueless you did ask for
> [url=http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=21832&message=58839&q=cable+problems#58839]it[/ur
> ].
>
>
> very happy wth Xtra and jetstream - asked friend
> about their ihug connection which they have been with
> for 7 years. Still pumping at 33k (their max modem
> speed, can u believe he still has a 33k modem).
>
> sam m

Hells bells Sam...... what a memory. I'm amazed

Be very afraid of what you say guys, Sam's taking it all in.

sal
04-11-2002, 12:20 AM
damn, ihug, things are just going from bad to worse for me with them, i now have to dial in at least 10 times (seriously!), just to get a VERY slow connection

grtz sal.
tga

Jim B
04-11-2002, 12:49 AM
I have no problem connecting to IHUG
I think you should take a good look at your own system as people are very quick to blame the ISP when they have a problem but in most cases it is a phone or modem problem at the user end.

It could also be a localised Telecom problem in which case you should advise IHUG so they can get it investigated.