PDA

View Full Version : Problem with script on Windows Update page

Graham Petrie
01-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Hi, I am trying to download the latest two updates for XP, but when I click on the download button, a script error pops up for the EULA screen. Clicking "yes" or "no" cloases the window, but the accept button on the EULA screen remains greyed out so I can't accept the agreement and get my update.

Here (http://2guys1girl.hostnz.co.nz/wuerror.gif) is a sreen shot of the error.

Is anyone else having the same difficulty?? Any ideas?? I have tried it with both Microsoft VM running and Sun's VM with no difference in result.

G P

antmannz
01-11-2002, 12:36 PM
It's there new security model to force all XP users to re-purchase the software (a la their original subscription plan for XP) ;) ]:)

crozier
01-11-2002, 12:44 PM
I've been suffering from this for the past couple of days too. Interestingly enough if you st XP to remind you or automatically downlod the update there's no problem.

Jemy_X
01-11-2002, 02:57 PM
There may be a problem with the Update Class.

Go to:
Tools > Internet Options > General > Temporary Internet Files > Settings > View Objects

In here, there should be an 'Update Class'. Right click on it and select 'Update'.

IE6 will now Update the Update Class (no comment) and this will hopefuly repair the error!

Kiwitas
01-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

MS update site seems to have a few probs then/

I tried 5 times to get their latest patch for W98
only to have it download but not install!

I thought it might be at my end,but after reading
posts on this thread,I'm not so sure?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

crozier
01-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Maybe the installed a linux server ;\

drys
01-11-2002, 05:32 PM
Thanks Jemy X I was also have this script error what you suggested was correct and fixed the problem Thanks Bud.
Trev

crozier
01-11-2002, 06:25 PM
Yep, worked for me too. Thanks Jemy_X

bmason
01-11-2002, 07:44 PM
I had to write an essay on the content of their new license agreements, perhaps its doing this for your own good :-).

Jemy_X
02-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Those ker-aaazy EULA's...

I wouldn't mind reading an article or two on the intricacies/implications of these behemoths. There's alot of wording that can catch you out.

Good luck on the essay bmason, could be interesting to see what you find!

John H
02-11-2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about "Update class", because I have the same fault (using IE 6 Win XPPro). Unfortunately, Microsoft has chosen not to reply to my right click on Update class. The PeeCee sends the request, and then nothing happens for ages until I get sick of it and go away...

Oh well, maybe they are on holiday.

John

Graham Petrie
02-11-2002, 10:44 AM
I get the same prob John H. Oh well, will keep trying since it worked for others. Thaks alot.

G P

Jemy_X
02-11-2002, 11:04 AM
You could try deleting (right-click) the Update Class... this would force MS to re-install it next time you visit their update page.

It's worth a shot!

Graham Petrie
02-11-2002, 11:33 AM
Yeah, already tried that - it doesn't bother updating it, so now I have no update class. I will do a retsart and get back to you.

G P

Graham Petrie
02-11-2002, 01:52 PM
I can't get it to work (still getting script errors), and the update class is still gone.

G P

Graham L
02-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Write to Microsoft and suggest that they should install a Linux server to provide this "service". They have taken Hotmail off Linux servers and put it onto Micrsosoft, with "great popular acclaim".

Or you could wait ... if they are forced to use their own software, it might improve, in time. (Though one of the Australian magazines has said that MS people don't use the "public" servers to update their machines.) :-(

Years ago, Burroughs mainframe software was very good. The reason was that the Burroughs people used it. The system software was written in the same Algol that users used (with some slight extensions). It was lovely to use.

John H
02-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Hi Graham Petrie

They (Microsoft) eventually deigned to allow both my laptop and desktop to update Update Class, and that solved the problem (the same thing was happening on both computers). So maybe it is just a matter of waiting until the site is up.

Thanks Jemy_X for solving that for me. I am always amazed at how people know these things or work them out, and grateful for PressF1 that has solved so many problems for so many people. Wot a community!

John