PDA

View Full Version : Sending Email using OE 5

Pauline
31-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Hi,
When sending mail to multiple people if using the 'To' line they each know who youv'e sent to, is that right?
When using 'Bcc' they each think that they are the only recipient, is that right?
How is that when you recieve mail & 'Undisclosed Recipient' shows up in the 'From' line?
Pauline.

Mike
31-10-2002, 09:36 AM
>>> When sending mail to multiple people if using the 'To' line
>>> they each know who youv'e sent to, is that right?

Correct

>>> When using 'Bcc' they each think that they are the only
>>> recipient, is that right?

Incorrect

>>> How is that when you recieve mail & 'Undisclosed Recipient'
>>> shows up in the 'From' line?

BCC doesn't tell people that they are the only recipeint - it just hides every address you've added in there, including the recipient's one. "Undisclosed Recipients" comes up unless you put an address into the "To:" box, so many people put their own address in (so you'd send it to yourself in other words).

To make it look like they're the only recipient you'll need some kind of mass-mailer program that will send it out with each seperate email address in the To: box (but usually these programs cost).

HTH

Mike.

crozier
31-10-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi Pauline. You're on the right track about 'To' and 'BCC'

It's my understanding that 'Undisclosed Recipient' is only used by software used by spammers (I could be wrong about the 'only' bit)

I've never received an email I wanted to read with 'Undisclosed Recipient' in the To or From box. So I use mailwasher to automatically delete everything that contains 'Undisclosed Recipient'

Pauline
31-10-2002, 01:10 PM
Thanks Mike & crozier,
I have received mail from time to time & wondered how Undisclosed Recipient came about. I do have mailwasher but haven't had to do bouncing yet, I'm ready when the need arises.
Pauline.

crozier
31-10-2002, 01:19 PM
It's really satisfying to see those spams bouncing down the road to whence they came. I use 5 different email addresses and I was getting as much a 50 spams per day, now it's less than 10! B-)

Mike
31-10-2002, 01:41 PM
Just remember that having "Undisclosed Recipients" in the "From" field doesn't mean it's spam - it may just be a friend sending you and 20 others an email, but with everyone listed in the "BCC" field.

You can view emails on the server using Mailwasher's "Preview email" function.

Mike.