PDA

View Full Version : KasperskyLab

John Boy
29-10-2002, 07:51 PM
I run AVG anti virus in my puter and noticed this reference to KasperskyLab in my registry.I looked on Google and it said it was anti virus software. Although I dont usually touch the registry I have a little program called Reg Cleaner which I have sometimes used to remove unwanted downloads etc. Can any one explain what Kasperskylab is or is it part of AVG

Babe Ruth
29-10-2002, 08:27 PM
John Boy,

Typing the words Kasperskylab registry entry into Google resulted in about 60 hits. Most of these refer to various Virus/Worm/Trojan writing registry records using the Kasperskylab name. Check for an example Sophos_AV (http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32kitrod.html)

And then of course the Real KasperskyLab (http://www.avp.ru/): Kaspersky Lab an independent company was founded in July, 1997. The main direction of the company is a development and distribution of antivirus software. Kaspersky Lab' product AntiViral Toolkit Pro has received many referrences and awards last year as one of the best in the world detection-desinfection tool against computer viruses.

Babe.

John Boy
29-10-2002, 08:49 PM
Thats interesting , so it has nothing to do with my AVG anti virus program.I dont recall ever downloading anything like that.
I am not to knowlegable about this sort of thing. There are 2 entries under KasperskyLab. 1 is components and the other has Avp32 after it. I could remove it with the Registry Cleaner program but what will the effect be. It does however go into a backup folder

Babe Ruth
29-10-2002, 08:53 PM
John Boy,

No you can leave those particular registry settings alone, Not to worry about them.

Babe.

John Boy
29-10-2002, 08:57 PM
OK Thanks Babe. I will do just that.

Babe Ruth
29-10-2002, 09:03 PM
John Boy,

Just make sure that you keep your antivirus software up-to-date some of those Kasperskylab virii can be downright sneaky. Parts of those registry settings have indicated in the past a virus (usually a worm/trojan) attack, however

keep up the vigilance, Cheers, Babe.