PDA

View Full Version : Linux and System time

JoGiles
29-10-2002, 07:29 AM
hey everyone,

I'm using SuSE Linux 8.0, and the time does not seem to be right. When I boot into windows, it is always correct however. I can't determine whether it's a fixed amount ahead or if it's doing something weird, but I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction so that i can get my time back to normal :)

Cheers,
Jonathan Giles

roofus
29-10-2002, 08:57 AM
Interesting, Both Linux and windows, get the time from the BIOS, so in theory they should be exactly the same.

Get back to us with more details on the problem.
Like is it a fixed time apart? how random are the times?

JoGiles
29-10-2002, 09:05 AM
I'll look at it today and get back to you later this afternoon.

cheers,
Jonathan Giles

JoGiles
29-10-2002, 10:53 AM
I have the feeling both OS's are modifying the times or else Linux is causing it to slip....
I only boot into Windows to program, and normally i use Linux.

I think the time is slipping whenever my computer is off - is this a sign of a bad battery (even tho my mobo is less than a year old?) or is Linux changing something somewhere?

cheers :)

Jonathan Giles

Babe Ruth
29-10-2002, 11:58 AM
JoGiles,

Well it could be the battery... and it's a relatively inexpensive fix at about $4 from your local multistore. Ive seen bateries failed on 'new motherboards less than 3 months old so you never know.

Cheers, Babe.

Graham L
29-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Linux has a couple of settings related to the time. You can have your BIOS clock running on UTC ("coordinated universal time" which is what used to be called GMT) or local time. You should also have your Time Zone set correctly. For the Linux time to be set from the hardware clock, the clock utility has to be run. I assume that most distributions have a call included in the startup scripts. ;-) That might not be true ... it's so long since I've installed a new one.

You can set the time inside Linux with the [date command ... it's something like date mmddhhmmssyyyy but I use date --help | more on the rare occasionjs I use it. This does not change the BIOS clock ... you use clock to write the current value to that. clock --help will tell you the options.