PDA

View Full Version : IE6 UPDATING

allanrj
28-10-2002, 07:00 PM
I'm running Win ME with the integrated IE5.5 but when I try to update to IE6 via a PC World CD I get the message "unable to install IE6 because other applications still running" Despite disabling all programs in the start-up box in MS Config and re-trying, still no joy. Because IE5.5 is integrated in WinME, and has no un-install feature, does this mean I have to reformat my HD and try installing Win98 instead ? Also (although un-related) , the restore feature in WinME no longer works despite re-installing WinME. ANY HELPFUL ADVICE ON BOTH ISSUES appreciated.

Jen C
28-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Hi Allanrj,

RE: System restore:

Have you gone into control panel > System > Click on Performance Tab > Click on File System > Click on Troubleshooting Tab. Make sure there isn't a tick beside "Disable System Restore"

Jen

Jen C
28-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Further to the restore problem. After you reinstalled ME, did you go and grab all the updates from Microsoft? There was one to fix a bug in system restore. While you are there, have to tried to upgrade to IE6 from the Microsoft site instead of using the CD?

allanrj
30-10-2002, 01:31 PM
thanks for your reply, restore function is enabled. also i'm unable to reliably download large update files from anywhere as ISP XTRA is SOOooooooSLOWwwwwwwwww I get cutoff most of the time !!

Jen C
30-10-2002, 08:10 PM
Hi again allanrj

I think getting the OS updates might help. Yes, it can be quite a big collection to download, but you can do this in smaller chucks by just selecting individual updates to download - start with the oldest first. After my last reinstall, I slowly updated over a couple of nights until I had the full complement.

Jen