PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix 4.0 Bios Error message...

RedStar
28-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Two weeks ago I ve tried to reboot the PC when above msg appeared. ERROR 0271 Check date and time settings
{esc} proceed {f1} enter setup

I have Intel 440BX chipset with Pentium III 500MHZ Cpu.

The problem is that from then on keyboard is not responding at all. Before the error msg appears on the monitor, keyboard is responding normally. So if I press F1 before the error msg, I can see the "preparing to run system setup...." but soon after that error msg appears and the whole system hangs. I found on Phoenix web site that I need to enter the bios setup and adjust date and time (obviously!) but I just simply cannot enter the bloody bios setup because sytem hangs. Please help me. Thanks!

P.S BabeRuth suggested to replace the battery which I did, but nothing has changed. If anybody has any ideas let me know or my mobo will go to trash. :(

godfather
28-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Try powering down your system, unplugging (to be sure Power Supply is off) and removing the battery for 5 minutes.

You need power off, as this will reset your BIOS to default in total. It sounds as though it could be scrambled.

Replace battery, power up and see?

~qwerty
28-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Since you've replaced the battery I would assume the default configuration has been restored.

You should try entering the BIOS setup before the error message appears. Since the keyboard check would be done before the date/time check you could hold down a key and force a keyboard error and then try entering the BIOS setup then to adjust the time.

I'm not familiar if the CMOS time/date can be changed with the time/date of the OS. If you can't get into the BIOS setup but can get into your OS you should try changing time/date there and hopefully that will be changed in your CMOS.

godfather
28-10-2002, 08:34 PM
If the battery replacement is done in reasonable time, the BIOS can retain its setting on many boards.

If it became corrupted at or before battery replacement time, its worth a try.

He cannot get into the OS as far as I know...

Graham L
29-10-2002, 03:05 PM
I wonder if the BIOS is corrupted. A bad date is "non fatal". I bet there are "millions" of PCs running with bad dates. Is the BIOS a flashable one? It might be an idea to upgrade it to its present ;-) version, if you can find the current version.

Terry Porritt
29-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Thats not a bad idea Graham. Too late now, but its always a good idea to use a flash utility just to make a copy of the BIOS for just this very purpose, just in case the need arises to try reflashing. (Before there is any BIOS problem of course)