PDA

View Full Version : Questions about international powersupplies etc

Ben Elwood
28-10-2002, 05:59 PM
I am going to france for a year or so. I am taking the following 'power supply needed' stuff:

Laptop (Dell)
Digital Camera Battery Charger (Nikon)

Both still under warrenty but I dont want to blow them up! I have this little wee white contraption my brother uses when he goes to france (for his electric razor) and its basically a "french terminal to nz terminal" thing thats only about 2 cm thick. You can get em at dick smith, I think.

Anyway, if I have that...is it safe enough for laptop/battery charger? And how would I go about it:

a) Two "convertors" in two different sockets for each appliance

b) One "convertor", then a new zealand "two way" thing so I can plug two NZ plugs into a french socket.

I'd rather do a "B" but I DO NOT want to blow anything. The camera was baught in an airport duty free so im guessing its got international warrenty, but the laptop, i dont think it does (it might) but EVEN if they both had international warrenties, using what I might use to get em plugged might void it!

I would really apreciate any help.

P.S: I am not taking the alienware my dad keeps that, it wasnt ever "mine" per sey.

godfather
28-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Voltage

The standard voltage in France is 220 Volts AC, 50Hz.
This is close enough for our 230 volts, 50 HZ.
Most laptop type power supplies are world voltage (110v to 240v AC)

Sockets

The standard plug is the two round prongs type. Adapters to convert appliances to fit French electrical sockets are readily available outside France.

The main problem is physical, a double adapter may get too heavy for the flimsy socket adapter. What about a 4 outlet power strip?

Ben Elwood
28-10-2002, 06:45 PM
yeah i was thinking that too

so its good and safe? fantastic

godfather
28-10-2002, 07:11 PM
As to being safe, it depends if France has the MEN (Multiple Earthed Neutral) system, or floating. But it should be OK as I would doubt anything you are plugging in (laptop/camera charger) would be earthed.

Are they earthed?

If they dont have an earth pin on the plug, they are likely to be double insulated.

Why dont you look on the stickers on the devices and post the facts (wattage, or Current in amps, voltage, if they are double insulated)

After all you are asking questions about things only you can see!

duckyduck
28-10-2002, 09:12 PM
Those little white socket thingee's ( they also come in black to better match the decor) that you or someone got from DSL we have a whole box full but they are configured for the Philippines wall socket and the NZ item of which we have quite a few plug into that and to all extent and purposes they do the job.

As for International Warranties, I would not put too much faith in those, they tend to look impressive on paper but they are not always honoured. I would enquire with the NZ supplier or repairer whether they would accept a International Warranty before you needed to find out the expensive way.

rayonline
28-10-2002, 10:49 PM
get international warranty. u may need to pay for this. never be sorry when laptop falls over in overseas. a few hundred at most is better having no computer. also carry a backup cd....... i suggest norton ghost or something so can restore in 60mins or less, and a CDRW disc for routine backups from ur internal CD-RW drive.

people i known have replaced mouse cos due to different environmental humidity. i have replaced hard drive just after one yr (i have 3 yr warranty).

Rayonline

rayonline
28-10-2002, 10:52 PM
i bought my IBM Thinkpad laptop in USA, Minneapolis. Now back in NZ, I had a CD-ROM replaced in one night and the HDD in 8hrs when I called them 2AM. They couriered to my door and I couriered back the old one to them with the prepaid courier bag that was inside my package they sent me.

rayonline
28-10-2002, 10:54 PM
i suggest if u need help contact the helpline. do not contact a reseller (dell) since they may charge u for labour service..... and delay it since u have to contact shop and shop contacts DELL. On the phone u skip the middleman and urself contact DELL directly.

rayonline
28-10-2002, 10:56 PM
I almost got a mini-pci modem/ethernet replacement overnight again last time ... all confirmed and ready to be received in the next morning. but in the morning i got it to work so I called them to cancel it........

it depends on the company i guess..... i have read reviews on the dell laptops re: service. some people were not too happy. source: cnet.com