[Archive] - PC World Forums

PDA

View Full Version : emoticons

Clueless
28-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Bruce and team..
i know yous are really buzy, but i thinks things would be whey tidier IF you added <title>Emoticons</title> to the emoticon page...

I only ask because it is just one simple line of script, (so it's no big deal to do) and because i was just looking at the bottom of my screen and seeing a heap of tabs saying mainly:
"PressF1 - New" "PressF1 - New" "someotherstuff" "another title" "PressF1 - New" "PressF1 - New" "PressF1 - New" "PressF1 - New" "http://pressf1" "PressF1 - New"
and it was a tad difficult to find the emoticon window.

Just a suggestion
.Clueless

Susan B
28-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Hey Clueless, until Bruce and co. get a few spare minutes to do that job, try using the text file I've just sent you instead.

Plonk a shortcut somewhere on your desktop or somewhere handy and just open it when you want it, copy and paste the code and away you go. :-)

Clueless
28-10-2002, 04:11 PM
'Tis there cluttering up my desktop now......

Thanks Susan!

Susan B
28-10-2002, 04:45 PM
;-) :D

-=JM=-
28-10-2002, 06:30 PM
Me too please. :D

Clueless
28-10-2002, 06:52 PM
Can i make a suggestion for-=JM=- , Susan and anyone else.....
why not SAVE the actual page, edit it thus adding <title>Emoticons</title>and then bookmark it on your browser?

.Clueless

Clueless
28-10-2002, 07:03 PM
This suggestion has been bought to you by the letter "e" and someone determined to prove he has too much time on his hands......

.Clueless :D

Baldy
28-10-2002, 07:16 PM
I only ever use one kind of emotion :-):-):-):-):-):-);-):-):-):-):-)

Clueless, if you are so keen on emotions - why don't you learn them?

BALDY:-)

Susan B
28-10-2002, 07:23 PM
>>> why not SAVE the actual page, edit it thus adding <title>Emoticons</title>and then bookmark it on your browser?

I'm too lazy. :D

That text file is way quicker anyway. AND you'd be back to your previous problem of not having easy ID on your taskbar. Unless you edit the page saved on your HDD yourself, of course.

Clueless
28-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Baldy,
You great stirrer you!

i know : ) = :) and : ( = :( but i thought i'd learn easy stuff like "understanding Linux" before i worried about the rest of them!

;) .Clueless

Susan B
28-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Ummmm Baldy.... there's TWO emoticons in there. :o :D

I just keep forgetting whether to use upper case or lower case when doing these ones :p so I have to keep looking in my text file. Different forums/programs use different cases so I can never remember.

Clueless
28-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Susan
:O
>I'm too lazy.

o well i just sent you the rehashed version of the page, complete with flash <title>thingy</title>

Feel free to stick that in yer pipe and smoke it... of better still a folder and bookmark it!

.Clueless

Susan B
28-10-2002, 07:42 PM
There, see!! :8}

That's what happens when I try and remember. :O :D

Baldy
28-10-2002, 07:49 PM
> Ummmm Baldy.... there's TWO emoticons in there. :o
> :D
>
> I just keep forgetting whether to use upper case or
> lower case when doing these ones :p so I have to keep
> looking in my text file. Different forums/programs
> use different cases so I can never remember.

LOL yes Susan...... the ;-) was to signify that I was being cheeky :-)

Clueless
28-10-2002, 08:16 PM
BTW, the emoticon page looks way better with

<table border=1 cellpadding=4 width="95%" cellspacing="0">

instead of width="30%" or whatever the original page said.

We can resize the window and have it practical rather than put up with huge amounts of white space.

Susan B
28-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Thanx for that page Chris. Yes, I was just thinking that and was about to see what I could do when you beat me to it. Much better now. :-)

Clueless
28-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Well i'm still ajusting the page, i thought i better give it a respectable colour scheme before anyone else wants a modified copy.

:D

.Clueless

-=JM=-
28-10-2002, 08:51 PM
THanks for that people :D

Now to find the switches to get IE to open that in the sized window that I choose ;)

WHat about even getting it to turn my nVidia "always on top" thing on as well B-)

Kiwitas
28-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Hi all,

Slightly OT,but for those of you who use OE or Outlook as an E-mail
client and would like to use Emoticons on your messages,take a look at
a little app called Schmaili that can be downloaded from;

http://www.schmaili.com

I think you will like the easy way it works?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

sal
29-10-2002, 01:11 AM
i was looking at one of those 'clickable emoticons' scripts at a friends site, and thought id give it a go for pressf1, a little tweak here and there, but im stuck, if anyone wants to look at it and maybe tweak it a bit more so its morking, you can see my attempt at an emoticon page

http://htmlhelp.hostnz.co.nz/smilies.htm

(a bit of background on the script, the page is supposed to be linked from the 'post a reply' page, and then any emoticon you click on will be inserted on the 'post a reply' page.

it can be easily re-coded (a few lines altered here and there) to just sit on the post a reply page too (would look kinda nice), plus its small, so wouldnt take up lots of room

grtz sal.
tga

Poppa John
29-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Emoticons. I printed the page (6"x4") & stuck it on my monitor. Busy Poppa John. Maryann says Hello.:D

Clueless
29-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey Sal,
Sorry to be a pain in the bit we so often think with...

The only thing that worries me with your clickable icon thingy is it's cross-browser compatibility. Is it truly compatable? I remember some having to disable Java in Opera owing to a certain HP add... Cool add, it was too, but anyways, one of the cool things about the PressF1 site is that it works well and fully on every system i have tried it on... I'd hate to see that change.

Would you like to create a reply page that i or we could trash out just to try it on everything possible?

i wonder if you could make a reply page that actually replies to a genuine F1 "test" topic, say perhaps this very thread? If not a reply page that does everything but reply should work for testing purposes.

Clueless
29-10-2002, 11:06 AM
>Would you like to create a reply page that i or we could trash out just to try it on everything possible?

One day i will learn how to spell.

i meant a page we could thrash out, as in check its funtionallity, not throw away!

D'oh (again)

.Clueless :8}

(see emoticon page is useful!)

crozier
29-10-2002, 11:52 AM
Emoticons. I printed the page (6"x4") & stuck it on my monitor. Busy Poppa John. Maryann says Hello.

I tried this Poppa John. But I can't see the screen now :( %(

antmannz
29-10-2002, 12:45 PM
JM, add this to the code:
<script language="Javascript">
window.resizeTo(x,y);
</script>
where x = width and y = height

sal
29-10-2002, 01:11 PM
will do

grtz sal.
nz

Katydid
29-10-2002, 01:47 PM
have been browsing and found your post about Schmaili. I have downloaded it - great - thanks for the tip can you only put it into emails. Tired to do one for this but window comes up saying no mail window open.?

Katydid

Clueless
29-10-2002, 03:18 PM
Kiwitas and Katydid,

I'm sick of OE... after being spoiled with the wonderous formula of PressF1, i find my self typing :) etc in my E's but the poor recipiant only gets to see : ) etc....... :( How last century!

I note some of you (Baldy) are now using incredrimail which seems to decorate somewhat. Any suggestions for putting these cute liddle pictures in E's and being able to read them?
Actually anything that makes OE less common will do wonders in the war against viri anyway

Graham L
29-10-2002, 03:58 PM
These emoticons are GIF files. Have a look at emoticons in yahoo messenger (http://www.sector101.fsnet.co.uk/yahoo/).
Or some random emoticons (http://www.pop.at/smileys/2.htm).
If you want a few more ... have a look at Colorado State (http://csu.colstate.edu/webdevelop/graphics/emoticons/).
The code which is used here is at Jive Software (http://www.jivesoftware.com/builds/docs/latest/javadoc/com/jivesoftware/forum/filter/Emoticon.html).

Katydid
29-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Have I got a great stationery site for you. Makes your OS emails the best one the net. Also screensavers - notelets - wonderscreens etc. They have a good news letter for stationery and another named Information Avenue. Become a member and you get heaps more goodies in the way of Stationery etc .

Want me to get them to tell a friend??? or maybe this is there address

http://thundercloud.net.news try if it doesnt work lets know.

Have tried incredimail. Its pretty good but prefer to stick to this one.

Katydid

Katydid
29-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Wow should have checked my spelling.

Katydid :8}

Clueless
29-10-2002, 04:15 PM
>Wow should have checked my spelling.

>Katydid

Na, It just adds to the entertainment!

(someone said that about some of my posts once, i've been itching to say that for months)

:p ]:) Clueless

Katydid
29-10-2002, 04:48 PM
clueless,

That last post of mine about Thundercloud was for you.

Like you I enjoy reading the different posts. It is good for the soul to have a laugh.

Katydid

Susan B
29-10-2002, 05:14 PM
>>> Like you I enjoy reading the different posts. It is good for the soul to have a laugh.

It's the only reason I ever come here, as Clueless knows so very well. ]:) :p :D

Jen C
29-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Hi Susan,

I thought that you came here just to collect your new Norton's prize ;\

Well done, and well deserved! :D

Jen

Poppa John
29-10-2002, 05:38 PM
crozier. jeeze wayne, not on the screen, on the monitor at the bottom on the plastic. Poppa John (goes away muttering & shaking head!!!)

-=JM=-
29-10-2002, 07:44 PM
> JM, add this to the code:
> <script language="Javascript">
> window.resizeTo(x,y);
> </script>
> where x = width and y = height

Thanks a lot.

All i need now is to have it so that it stays on top and opens on the right-side of the screen.

Kiwitas
29-10-2002, 08:29 PM
For Clueless,

I have never used OE but when I found that little Schmaili app I thought it might just work with Foxmail?

As I have seen on this forum that a lot of users do use OE thought it worthwhile passing on the source.

Just might earn me some brownie points too!!LOL

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

PS;sorry to say it doesn't work on Foxmail!

Clueless
29-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Kiwitas,

call me brain-cell-of-the month, but it wasn't till i downloaded it and gave it a go that i realised it was an add on programm...
and i like it!

I'll probably annoy the stuffing out of lots of people with this little gem over the next month or so till the novelty value dies down!

:D

.Clueless

Susan B
29-10-2002, 09:54 PM
>>> Hi Susan,

>>>I thought that you came here just to collect your new Norton's prize

:O Oh did you now?! :D

>>>Well done, and well deserved!

Thank you Jen. :8}

sal
30-10-2002, 03:05 AM
ok, for anyone still watching this thread, heres my 'clickable emoticons for PressF1' idea, as seen on vBulletin, phpbb, etc

http://htmlhelp.hostnz.co.nz/smilies.htm

what do you think?

grtz sal.
tga

Clueless
30-10-2002, 10:41 AM
B-) Cool Sal....
B-) hey were did you get the idea for that incredibly cool styling from??????? B-)

B-) Anyways......i recon it's great, particually on my brand new 10 year old "NEC multisync xl" antique monitor. I must wonder how it would look for those poor saps who still have to use 800x600 screens? B-)

B-)Well i said i'd try to pick holes, and if thats the best i can do, it must be super cool! B-)

B-)
.Clueless

antmannz
30-10-2002, 10:55 AM
JM, add this inside the script tags:
[pre]window.moveTo(screen.availWidth-window.outerWidth,0);
window.setZOptions(alwaysRaised);[pre]
The first statement should set the window to the top-rightmost area of your screen regardless of resolution and window size.
The second statement should set the window to float above all others, but I'm not too sure it'll work - I always thought you needed some kind of wrapper to do that.

sal
30-10-2002, 10:59 AM
ok a few bugs, before other people mention them (:p)

1. if the cursir isnt initially in the message bow, t will insert the emoticon, and then the cursor will place itself right at the start

2. the miscief emoticon isnt working (what a coincidence) cos of a char in it i think

grtz sal.
tga

antmannz
30-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Ackk ..... goddam it, forgot the / in the trailing 'pre'. Bugger. :(

JM, just had a crack at the setZOptions, don't think it'll work but give it a shot anyway :)

-=JM=-
30-10-2002, 03:29 PM
well lets see if this works at all aye.

:) :p X-( :| :( ]:) :^O :0 :D B-) ;) ?:| :x :8} :_|

seems to be working here

hope that works

and I'm not sure if it's possible but i've always liked the idea of being able to insert the icons in the middle of a sentence.