PDA

View Full Version : startup freeze

Katydid
28-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Heres one for you,

Over the months, occasionally when starting up, the computer will freeze and the window has at the bottom words (cant remember exactly )with ESC .................DEL....... I have gone into these when it first started happening but was too novice to know what to do with the instructions, so in the end had to pull the plug out at the wall. After some lapse of time I would replug and press the power button and it would start up.

This has happened more often in the last couple of weeks and yesterday and today when I went to start up nothing happened at all so I tried in desperation the reset button and away it went!!! Could it be anything to do with that low memory, or have I made it worse unplugging from the wall?

Katydid

Peter H
28-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Unplugging will do no harm, but on next start up should do Scan disc - same with reset button. Always my first option if things go wrong. What OS ?
Bye

roofus
28-10-2002, 02:47 PM
This screen you are refering to a guess is the first screen that comes up on your computer.
THis is called the BIOS check screen.
Basically it will come up saying how much ram you have, what hard-drives it has detected, might say that you have a mouse and keyboard connected.

Now this screen will pause if there is something wrong. The most common problems are where the keyboard is not connected.
This has nothing to do with how much ram you have or what OS you have.
Basically if it happens randomly your probably ok, and its a result of the computer getting itself mucked up. If it happens each time you start, then you have a problem
Next time it happens record what error comes up (usually it tells you whats wrong)
and then get back to us.
You can actually disable this "halting" function in that menu you went into (which is called the BIOS), but for the mean time, don't worry about that and just look to tell us what error is occuring.

Clueless
28-10-2002, 02:59 PM
>I tried in desperation the reset button and away it went!!!

I cant help wondering if that was either coincidental timing, or a dodgy reset button.

If it refused to start after pulling the plug and repowering your darling machine, but the reset button starts it, that to me suggests the said button may have been stuck in.

Anyway, we really will need to know the error to work out why it would start up on other accations, and some idea exactly how far through the start up process it gets will also help

Katydid
28-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Hi There,

Meant to say that I ran the Defragmenter - Scan Disk - Disc Clean-up yesterday I do this regularly every week if poss.

(yes Rufus it is the first screen that freezes) Next time it happens I will let you know what it says.

A SENIOR MOMENT - What is OS - two of you mention it. Have gone blank!!!!!

Thanks all Katydid :D

Peter H
28-10-2002, 04:20 PM
OS = Operating System W98, XP, ME etc.
Hang in - We'll get there
Bye

Katydid
28-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Peter H,

Oh dear some senior moment. :D :D :D

Operating System is Windows 98 SE.

Katydid :8}

roofus
28-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Sorry KatyDid, didn't realise you were new to all this techno stuff.
Basically don't worry, and just report back here, when the error happens again, its not threatning in anyway, so don't let it worry you. It has nothing to do with running scandisk or anything of the likes.

Katydid
29-10-2002, 06:53 AM
Hi,

Realise it has nothing to do with scan disk, etc. had hoped that doing those may have stopped it.

Well, this morning I have just Started up and the same has happened. Press power and the computer powers up but NO activity........no flashing yellow light under the green and the screen stays blank .........so press reset (reboot)..................and away she goes and so here I am, up and running but still very worried. Is rebooting all the time bad for the PC too?

Will do scandisk like PeterH suggested, after each Blip too.

Katydid

Katydid
29-10-2002, 07:00 AM
Sorry, :8} :8}
After posting the last message I realised that in my first Post I never told you that the computer when pressing power powered up ( in other words started humming,) but ........no action (noises of starting up Windows and appearing on the screen). I have mentioned that in the last one.

Does that help you any better, it may be an important bit of information.

Katydid

Peter H
29-10-2002, 08:24 AM
Don't bother with Scan Disc every time. I didn't explain very well earlier, but if you reset the computer because of a hang up etc, normally windows will run it automaticly. I think we will just have to wait until you get the error messages back, and take it from there.
Bye

Clueless
29-10-2002, 08:25 AM
>I cant help wondering if that was either coincidental timing, or a dodgy reset button.

and now you say

>>.........so press reset (reboot)..................and away she goes

Its got to be....
no matter how dodgy things are in the software dept, one could reasonably expect the computer to atleast get to the first bios screen.. I'm talking about the usually black screen where you "see" the machine find drives, count its RAM, all that good stuff before it starts win-doze.

When you push the reset button does it feel sticky, or does it slide back out with ease?

If it is a dodgy reset button, i would just disconnect the thing, reset is a last resort shutdown, and is no differant to pulling the power. The only really bad thing is that instant power down through reset or pull the plug means nothing gets saved.

I would be tempted at this stage to open up the case, have a look at all the wires going fromm the front lights and buttons, there you will see a pair of twisted wires, probably blue and white, that will plug onto the main board where it says reset, or RST or something like that... Pull that plug.. i suspect that will end these problems. if not, put it back.

roofus
29-10-2002, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't go opening up your case or anything of the likes!
Considering there seems to be nothing wrong with your reset button as it's the one that gets you going again, so definatley don't go disabling that.

Ok how old is this computer?
Next time it happens, look at the on light on the monitor, does it go green or orange?

If your computer is relatively new i believe your scenario is caused by your computer not shutting down, but rather going into hibernation.
The reason you are getting no flashing lights is because the computer will not continue until the monitor powers up, and if the case is that the monitor isn't powering up then it would explain why there is no activity.

I have once had a similar problem to this, although this was caused by me using an old analouge screen on an ATX case. But if your computer and monitor is newish (last 4 or 5 years) then this shouldn't be a problem.

Ok for a possible fix.
Reset your computer, when the BIOS check screen comes up, hit del or F1 or ESC, (it should tell you down at the bottom of the screen) You are now in the BIOS. go along to advanced, or power management, in there you want to disable anything to do with sleep mode or your screen.
ONce you have done that exit and save changes, see if that rectifies your problem

Peter H
29-10-2002, 09:07 AM
Also, try pressing the re-set button while everything is running OK. Close down open progs first. It should restart with scan disc.
Bye

Katydid
29-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Of Course, forgot myself that scan-disk runs at reboot have seen it enough times lately, haven't I, should have remembered!!!!!!!!

Katydid

Katydid
29-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Nope reset button is fine.

Your'e telling me to go into the works of this thing, no chance !!!!!!!!!

Katydid

Katydid
29-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Its Ok Rufus, you won't catch me sticking fingers into this machine, I'd be bound to do something wrong, I prefer my hair the way it is, not permanently fizzed (JOKE.........) I do know to turn things off!!!!!!!!!!

The computer is three years next Jan.

I think the monitor light was green but will check next time.

Your post has reminded me that a couple of times during all this carryon the monitor has said to check the connections etc. but when that didnt help I just rebooted and away it went again. I wonder if there is a loose connection somewhere? Thinking about it I think the last time I ignored it and just reset and it went ok. Which puzzled me at the time. So much has happened it slipped my mind.

If I try that fix you suggest, when you say 'go along to advanced or power management' is that a window that comes up auto. or do I have to go somewhere to find it - also when I exit will a window come up asking if I want to save the changes???

Katydid

Katydid

roofus
29-10-2002, 01:38 PM
I think this problem lies untirely with your monitor, Yes it would be good to see if the connections are all ok, make sure the cord isn't sticking half out of the socket etc.

In the bios, you will see various different menus, you will have to use the arrow keys (or maybe your mouse if your bios lets you use it) to the advanced or power management window.

When you make the changes and finally exit the BIOS it will ask you if you want to save your changes. If you accidently clicked on the wrong thing and you reckon you bunged something up, then just exit but DONT save the changes.
Kinda fool proof really.

If you could, could you also write down the power mangement settings, ie what it does for each thing.
It will say things like ACPI enabled
wake on lan, wake on modem, etc
tell me what these and the other settings say.
That way i can tell you what to change

Katydid
30-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Hi Rufus, the best'O the mornin to ya,

Started up with no problems this morning, must have given PC a fright at the thought of me delving.

At the momen I will leave doing what you suggested ( best to leave well alone) BUT if it happens again will try that out.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Katydid :) :) :) :) :)