PDA

View Full Version : Netscape7

jaybee
28-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Hi,
Have just jumped from Netscape 4.7 to Netscape 7. I tweaked settings, colours and homepage to what I wanted and everything looked OK. However when I click on to Netscape (offline) a message comes up "info.netscape could not be found. Please check name and try again" When I go online first and give it it's head there's a lot of upload/download activity. Have searched the "Preferences" but can't find where to put a stop to this. Any help appreciated. Jim
P.S. Is this the price one pays for free Netscape? :-)

Jim B
28-10-2002, 11:54 AM
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say here.
What have you got set as your home page, info.netscape is not a valid web address, If you want Netscape homepage it is www.netscape.com

Are you not able to get any web sites at all, if this is the case check this.
Edit/preferences
Advanced/Proxies
Make sure Direct connection to the interneyt is selected.

mikebartnz
28-10-2002, 11:58 AM
On the left hand side there is My Sidebar. In that turn off any Tabs that you don't want as a lot of them want to access the net.
Apart from one or two minor things NS7 is excellent especialy the tabbed browsing.

Baldy
28-10-2002, 12:45 PM
I also like the link to AIM which I use in preference to MSN.

NS7 is very nice to use.

jaybee
28-10-2002, 01:39 PM
No. Am just trying to stop info.netscape from trying to access the net. Homepage set as good kiwi one - nzcity.co.nz

godfather
28-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Netscape reports your search requests, to info.netscape.

Not sure that you can disable it, but I would dump it for that reason!

Article here (http://www.computeruser.com/news/02/03/08/news5.html)

Jim B
28-10-2002, 02:12 PM
OK I see what you are doing now, you didn't say you were selecting Search.
Why bother to use that anyway, I don't understand why people use the Search button on web browsers when it is easy to use the search engine of your choice by putting it on the links bar or personal tool bar.

jaybee
28-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Yep! Looks like something in the sidebar was the culprit - hopefully . I'd just hidden it. Have now spring-cleaned it.
Now find Netscape7 to be quite good tho' slow to load. All I actually wanted however was version 4.7x to handle more than one email address and also retain passwords for sites I visit.
7 does this and more - probably more than I want/need :D .
Anyway thanks guys for all the help and advice. Jim

segfault
28-10-2002, 03:52 PM
May I suggest Mozilla? Its the development version of Netscape (Its quite stable and usable though) or if you want something lightweight, take a look at Phoenix - its a cut down version of Mozilla and its very very nice!

Jim B
28-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Why use Mozilla? He already has NS7 what advantage is there in getting Mozilla.

jaybee
28-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Thanks, may well give Phoenix a go on lower spec machine - see how it goes. Can't run Netscape 7 on it but this may well work. IMHO "bells and whistles" should be optional add-ons.

segfault
28-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Well, none of the advertising that Netscape add in and also, you can block any popups (And not the ones that popup because of you clicking on something - clever. Netscape took that out). Mozilla is also more up to date - Netscape was based on Mozilla 1.0.1 (They are up to 1.2b now, the b being for beta) so there are quite a few advantages of using Mozilla over Netscape.

Jim B
28-10-2002, 09:58 PM
If you want an ad-blocker for NS 7 you can download and install from Here ( http://ufaq.org/files/adblocker.xpi)

Personally popups don't worry me and people running ad-blockers need to be aware some sites will not load with popups blocked.

I prefer Netscape because it is fully supported and help is readily available.
Mozilla has no support, you are on your own with it, and it also has no spell checker for those who want this.

Mozilla will gain in popularity no doubt with time but I don't believe it is ready for the masses at present.

Jim B
28-10-2002, 10:00 PM
If you want an ad-blocker for NS 7 you can download and install from Here ( http://ufaq.org/files/adblocker.xpi)

Personally popups don't worry me and people running ad-blockers need to be aware some sites will not load with popups blocked.

I prefer Netscape because it is fully supported and help is readily available.
Mozilla has no support, you are on your own with it, and it also has no spell checker for those who want this.

Mozilla will gain in popularity no doubt with time but I don't believe it is ready for the masses at present.

mikebartnz
29-10-2002, 06:36 PM
The search in My Sidebar means you can search several sites at once.