PDA

View Full Version : XP and user policies/profiles

stewart.hall@clear.net.nz
28-10-2002, 08:41 AM
How do I set up individual user polices to restrict certain actions when different users logon to a windows xp machine?

Mike
28-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Hi Stewart,

I recommend you ask Bruce or Robo to change your user name to not contain your email address as having your address in a public forum like this will attract spam to your account, and believe me, you don't want this to happen :)

I think what you want to do (to restrict certain actions on certain accounts) would require you to edit some settings in the Local Security Policy which can be found in the Control Panel under "Administrative Tools" (You need to be Administrator to access this I think).

HTH

Mike.

Craigb
28-10-2002, 11:15 AM
In Start - Control Panel select User Accounts, and select the user account user you want to set-up and select change Account Type. You then select either Admiistrator or Limited, depending on what you want that person to access. You can see what is limited if you go to Learn About ... and select User Account types when you go into User Accounts from the control panel. Hope this helps.

Craigb

tinman
28-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Firstly your hard drive needs to be formated as ntfs, and not fat 32 b4 personal logon security works.
Then simply go to control panel/users and follow the instructions.
Note: U can assign a differant status to each user, administrator, limited or guest. Admin has free access to everything so if u dont want this, give them a limited account. For more info grab an xp book and read up as it gets more complicated
Cheers
tinman

Craigb
28-10-2002, 11:25 AM
I use Fat32 and I'm pretty sure that the limited access still works. I've set my kids up as Limited and they're always moaning that they can't download programs off the net. They can still dowmload stuff through P2P but can't change any system settings.

Craigb

stewart.hall@clear.net.nz
28-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Hi Mike, thanks for that, I'll e-mail them now, silly me.

When I use the group policy editor which they tell you to do it seems o affect all accounts. Many years ago I did it with Windows NT using a prog called poledit.exe but the version I have will not work on XP. It's something to do with Group Policy Editor I think but I can't figure out how to make the settings only apply to individual users rather that globally to the whole pc.

cheers

Mike
28-10-2002, 12:08 PM
>>> Firstly your hard drive needs to be formated as ntfs, and not fat 32 b4 personal logon security works

FAT32 will work fine for logon security - it's file security that requires NTFS.

Mike.