PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Internet: HELP

Ben Elwood
27-10-2002, 07:02 PM
A friend is over. He has his computer next to me. Our modems are on the same line:

I was wondering if there was a program to let us connect together and both be on the internet, similar to a phone call where someone else can pickup and listen.

We are NOT on a LAN or CROSSOVER connection.

Capt Jimbo
27-10-2002, 07:05 PM
So what you are saying is that you are both plugged into separate jackpoints?
If that's the case then I don't think there is any way that you can both connect.
The 2nd PC will always get "No Dial Tone"

Ben Elwood
27-10-2002, 07:13 PM
No i have external modem he has internal. My external modem plugs into the phone jack, then my friends internal into my external (where the phone can be plugged in)

We can both connect at different times without unplugging/plugging anything: geddit?

Billy T
27-10-2002, 07:21 PM
The answer is the same Ben

You cannot connect two modems to the one line simultaneously, that is, not unless one is on ADSL.

Think of it this way, you can't call separate phone numbers just because you plug two phones into different jacks on the one line.

Dreams are free,

Access costs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Ben Elwood
27-10-2002, 07:26 PM
we dont want to ring seperate numbers, one of us rings the other "listens in" to the same call...

godfather
27-10-2002, 07:40 PM
If you paralleled the 2nd modem across the line, to "listen in" it would immediately cause the connection to the internet to drop, as it would be making its own requests and the modem tones would cause severe interference to the other PC.

The technical answer is no, it cannot be done. Its not designed to ever work this way.

Clueless
27-10-2002, 08:55 PM
one machine must connect to the internet.. the it talks to the isp and says hi i'm larry and you are ISP.. well lets talk lots of stuff about protocols, IP addresses, all that really cool computer stuff and so forth and then agree about a few things, then wrap a heap of tags around all iddy biddy chunks of data that we exchange and do this all night ..........yeah!!!!!!

a 3 way conversation will mess this up real fast

What you need to do is connect machine 2 to machine 1 using a network cable or something, and machine 1 connects to the world. Some software may be involved, or atleast some really informed tweaking of settings

.Clueless

Clueless
27-10-2002, 09:11 PM
>>one of us rings the other "listens in" to the same call...

yes I can do this with my better˝s cordless phone, it "listens in" whilst on the net trying to make a phone call allows us to hear:"CKKKCKCKKKCKKKCKKCKKKKKKKZSSHHHSHHHSHHHHHSHSHHSHHS HCCCCXCCXCSD" which isn't that exciting once the novelty wears thin.

A connection with the internet is interactive
This is by no means the complete story, but after the handshake it goes

<larry ip=202.202.202.202 to ISP's DNS server ip=200.200.200.200, lots of other stuff, X much data following> perhaps um i'd like to look at www.aweb-page.com heard of it?<end of x much data>

<ISP ip=xxxxxxxxxx to larry ip=xxxxxxxxxxxx expect this much data (x bytes)> i've heard about that page it's at 205.205.3.3 <blah>

<Larry to 205.205.3.3 message = X bytes> show us your index page for awebsite.com <blah>

<205.205.3.3 to Larry message equals x bytes> heres the index page <blah>

I could go on, but obviously this is not something that can be casually listened into and joined in on like a phone call

.Clueless