PDA

View Full Version : msconfig and start up programmes

willbry
27-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Last week katydid introduced a topic concerning "memory". Roofus suggested unchecking programmes that are not needed from start up. My question is for those not well informed in this game, how do you know what is important to the efficient running of your machine? I know to some degree it's a matter of choice but there must be some programmes one dare not uncheck.
Specifically, I have the following checked . Of them, which ones could I uncheck without fear of the blue screen of death or worse. Or perhaps better, which ones of these 18 MUST remain checked. Thanks willbry

NView Scan Registry Sys Tray NvCpIDaemon nwiz
Still Image Monitor Critical Update AVG
Load Power Profile Scheduling agent Mini Log
S Agent 2 Exe Path Avg Serv9.exe True Vector
Zone alarm Big Fix Controller
load=

duckyduck
27-10-2002, 03:19 PM
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

The link above will give you a good list of what each item does and whether it is needed or not.

In answer to the ones you have provided and this is only my own personal views

NView - untick it unless you running multiple monitors

Scan Registry - Keep it

Sys Tray - Personally I untick this one.

NvCpIDaemon - Disable if you are over clocking

nwiz - Not required

Still Image Monitor - Untick it

Critical Update AVG - Keep

Load Power Profile - May not be required depending on your power settings.

Scheduling agent - Only required if you have a defrag etc set to run at et times.

Mini Log - untick. Part of zone alarm.

S Agent 2 Exe Path - You have a Epson printer? you can disable this

Avg Serv9.exe - Keep

True Vector - Keep

Zone alarm - Keep

Big Fix Controller - can automatically download and read technical support information provided by computer and software manufacturers and other technical support experts (published in the form of Fixlet® Messages) and can automatically check your computer for bugs, configuration conflicts, and security holes. Should only be started manually as it's a resource hog

load= Not sure. Keep unless someone knows better.

Hope that helps you out.

willbry
27-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Thanks a lot Ducky duck.
Very helpful indeed and I'm sure the web page will be of great interest to a lot of other contributers aswell. Incidentally I'm intrigued how you knew I had an Epson printer. Are you a psychic as well as an expert advisor?
Cheers Willbry :)

duckyduck
27-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Us ducks get around....................nothing is safe.

On a brighter note, I suspected you had a Epson Printer because of one of the items in your msconfig list.

willbry
27-10-2002, 05:54 PM
Mystery solved
Thanks again duck duck
willbry