PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning

Toby
27-10-2002, 03:14 PM
I have partitioned one of my drives into three at the moment, operating, data, and backups. Can I have the "Windows" operating folder in one partition and my "Program" folders in another? Can they all live happily ever after? Can I move the folders into the partitions after the partitions have been created as opposed to individually re installing them on the created drive partitions. I am using Partition Magic 8.0 on my 400C 256M Win 98 SE machine.
Thanks in anticipation

Heather P
27-10-2002, 03:21 PM
You can move data files anywhere you like. Moving program files though is a little more hit and miss.

Programs such as Word install into their own directories but also put "fishhooks" into the operating system - dlls, system files, registry entries.... Moving a program such as this means it won't work no more.

If you reformat and reinstall the OS - the programs won't work either.

My personal preference is 2 partitions. One for OS and programs, one for data. This means if I need to reformat then the data is safe.

duckyduck
27-10-2002, 03:21 PM
I will stand corrected if I am wrong but if you start moving the program folders about, the paths that the program has already created and knows will no longer apply and the program won't be able to load. I suspect you would need to uninstall and then install again and during the installation point the install to the partition that you wanted to use.

Personally there is nothing wrong with having your windows/drivers/programs all in C drive which I suspect you have now and keep your data on a separate partition.

Toby
27-10-2002, 04:15 PM
Thanks
I appreciate the input
Toby