PDA

View Full Version : How do you open and install "*.exe.htm" files?

eef2
26-10-2002, 06:22 PM
After downloading a viewer plugin named MGControl60.exe.htm, and double clicking on it after having closed the browser as the website recommends, it opens IE and gobbledegook gets put on the page. It starts with the message that this cannot be run in DOS mode. Well, what HTM(L) document can?:|
Anyway, putting that aside for awhile, I am having real problems with this file. I have tried renaming it, deleting it to download a fresh one and then trying associating it with anything other than IE - for IE won't run it! All it does, is throw the gobbledegook page up again.X-(
Once I was able to get one of these files opened and installed by using a zip process, I think, (can't remember how:_|)but there has got to be a better, more generic way. Pehaps changing a setting in IE 6/Netscape 7?

bmason
26-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Its a ".exe" that has the wrong extension, try renaming so it doesn't have the ".htm" extension. You should also virus scan it before running it since your scanner may have skipped it thinking it was safe.

It probably given the wrong extension because either your downloader or the website you got it from is not configured correctly.

Heather P
26-10-2002, 07:05 PM
I just typed "MGControl60" into Google. First few listings refer to MGControl60.exe

Delete the .htm and you should be OK. But I would plan to virus check it first to be on the safe side (when things pick up a strange extension it pays to double check)

eef2
26-10-2002, 07:23 PM
Thanks Heather and bmason, I'm off to another website to download it because I hadn't thought of that before - regardless of the NPC final being on TV right now (Haven't got Sky, anyway!)
To repeat: renaming didn't work (Thats where you try and delele the .htm)
It won't work, because the application icon remains the same and remains an HTML document even although you try and call it an .exe only.

Heather P
26-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Rename it in DOS

Start; Run; Command

Navigate to the correct directory with:
cd (directory name)
../ to go back a directory
ren filename.exe.htm filename.exe

But there again... as you don't know WHY it changed filenames a fresh download is probably safer

eef2
26-10-2002, 10:16 PM
BRILLIANT!!!! IT WORKED!! :D :)

That's twice you have put me on the right track. Heather - I am so grateful.
Thanks. :x

eef2