View Full Version : Converting Crossover Cat5 to Standard

26-10-2002, 12:15 PM

I had two PC's networked via a crossover cable. This cable is long and runs under the floor. I want to add a third PC, and have a hub, so need to change the crossover to a standard cable, preferably without re-wiring a new plug on the end (I don't really want to buy a crimper just for this one job, and getting under the house to un-thread the cable, take it to someone to change the plug, then re-thread it again isn't a preferred option).

Does anyone know where I could get a device that will reverse the required wires? (I'm in Tauranga) I asked at Dick Smith and was met by blank stares.

Thanks in advance


26-10-2002, 12:31 PM
get a cross over adapter. normally use to add onto a normall cat5 lead to make it a crossover lead. it should just cross it back over to a standard lead.

Graham L
26-10-2002, 12:34 PM
I think DSE do sell a "crossover adapter". That will "uncrossover" your cable. The effect is crossover--crossover ---> "straight through".

If DSE don't, Jaycar will. ;-)

Graham L
26-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Snap :D

26-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks Tweak'e and Graham, that is exactly what I thought I needed. I had a quick look through the catalogue at DSE while I was there but coudn't see anything, I imagine it looks just like the plasticboxes with sockets at each end we use to connect two cat 5's to make a long one at work.

I'll try elsewhere, thanks again


26-10-2002, 12:53 PM
often a hub will have a "uplink" port that acts like a cross over......

the design is to hock an uplink port on one hub to the normail port on another hub.

the other use is to hock a PC to the uplink port using a crossover cable.

Graham L
26-10-2002, 01:07 PM
TasTech.co.nz , in their "modems and network" section have adapters for $5.