PDA

View Full Version : OT nerds 'n' geeks

loser
26-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Just been doing a bit of study, started randomly thinking of things not about study (well kind of...) decided to look up the definition of "geek"... huh? it's not even in my dictionary! neither is "nerd"!
Collins New Pocket English Dictionary, 1992.

anyway, I went online and found some definitions...
from http://www.yourdictionary.com

Main Entry: geek
Pronunciation: 'gEk
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low German geck, from Middle Low German
Date: 1914
1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disapproved of
- geeky /'gE-kE/ adjective

Main Entry: nerd
Pronunciation: 'n&rd
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from nerd, a creature in the children's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950) by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)
Date: 1951
: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits
- nerd.ish /'n&r-dish/ adjective
- nerdy /-dE/ adjective

Personally, I'd rather be a geek (2)... nerd is a little more insulting...

Clueless
26-10-2002, 12:05 PM
most titles start life as insulting...

Perhaps i'm an aging punk rocker (a wonderful irony! :D)
punk.. well now it seems to mean someone who likes loud agressive music simple enough to be a live and real perforance but the original meaning was a tad less flattering!

.Clueless

vk_dre
26-10-2002, 03:36 PM
personally i would be neither. they both seem insulting to me. :D

Greg S
26-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Fortunately I've never been seriously regarded as either :)

Baldy
26-10-2002, 03:54 PM
I remember (and it wasn't that long ago) if you called someone who was gay a "queer" it would be a humungous insult.

Now they wear the name Queer like it's some badge of honour. They even have there own TV show of the same name.

Just goes to show that what was once insulting, soon isn't.

Just call me BALDY:-)

Elephant
26-10-2002, 05:26 PM
That make TWO of us.....

BALD that is!!!! :-) (If you are true to name)

I often wonder what students get out of P.G.Wodehouse books where it mentions, "We had a gay time."

What have they done with the word "Gaiety" one wonders?

-=JM=-
26-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Well I have no problem what so ever with being called a geek. But I better not hear you calling me a nerd :D

THough the lollies are damned good.

Baldy
26-10-2002, 06:56 PM
>
>
> BALD that is!!!! :-) (If you are true to name)
>

Not quite, but its falling out by the second.......

There IS a story behind my name LOL

Clueless
26-10-2002, 07:14 PM
The only label i will truly except is GEEK which is great because it confuses people........

"but you dont look like a geek!" well WTF does a geek look like anyway?

-=JM=-
26-10-2002, 08:41 PM
> The only label i will truly except is GEEK
> which is great because it confuses people........
>
> "but you dont look like a geek!" well WTF does a geek
> look like anyway?

Exactly, what does a geek look like.

Clueless
26-10-2002, 08:45 PM
I don't even wear glasses!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

.Clueless

loser
26-10-2002, 09:03 PM
> The only label i will truly except is GEEK
> which is great because it confuses people........

same. if people call me a geek when I'm reading PC world or playing on my computer or whatever, I just say "damn right I am . you're not telling ME anything new" ;)

insult never have the same effect when you accept and agree with them :D

> "but you dont look like a geek!" well WTF does a geek
> look like anyway?

-=JM=-
26-10-2002, 10:03 PM
> I don't even wear glasses!
>
> :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
>
> .Clueless

spot the contact wearer ;) :p

I don't wear glases (or any other eye sight enhancer). But I think i should go and get them sorted.

Mike
26-10-2002, 11:03 PM
There was a thread about a year ago all about being geek. Was one of the biggest threads we had seen on F1 for a while (although it no longer holds the record).

I think this is it here (I can't open this thread for some reason, so if anyone is in the know and can access it, check it out and let me know if this is the one ;))

Mike.

Ferroshus
26-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Hi There,
I think that the word "Geek" holds a certain amount of power in the modern corporate environment appreciates the help when it comes from the IT staff,whether it be in the Mail Room or the CEO's office.

Ferroshus
26-10-2002, 11:29 PM
Hi There,
I think that the word "Geek" holds a certain amount of power in the modern corporate environment.Everyone appreciates the help when it comes from the IT staff,whether it be in the Mail Room or the CEO's office.

Sorry its late!! I think that makes more sense!

loser
27-10-2002, 12:45 AM
i do. got em about 2 years ago, need to go back and get some more powerful ones I think ;) with big black frames taped in the middle ;)

i also have the ULTIMATE geek accessory... a wrist brace for alleviate the RSI (OOS) I have from using the mouse too much :D
I changed the mouse to left handed though so I don't need that anymore...

loser
27-10-2002, 12:51 AM
ya it works... not that big though :D

roofus
27-10-2002, 08:28 AM
I tend to take the definition of geek to be someone who is involved and knowedgable in a certain area.
Computer Geek
Engineering Geek
Accounting Geek
etc
A nerd i would take to be the normal stereotype of an introverted person who likes to play chess, read lots, but generally doesn't have great communication skills.

Just to note EVERYONE ON PRESSF1 are GEEKS, otherwise why would you come here? You come here to increase your knowledge and by doing so you then investigate by playing around with your computer, hence you are a geek. Are you ashamed? I know i'm not.

It is silly to be offended by names such as geek, faggot, nerd, gay, They are only derogeratory if you allowing them to be, Take the word Bugger for example.

I'm a GEEK and proud of it
:o

Clueless
27-10-2002, 10:39 AM
>spot the contact wearer

20/20 vision i have, i'm the prat in the car that reads the sign the driver can't even see yet.

I dont have pens in my shirt pocket..... but there is usually a marker pen (purple of course) in my pockets somewhere.