PDA

View Full Version : Dialup 'window'

bwelford
26-10-2002, 10:30 AM
My dial up 'window' for Internet Explorer keeps popping up especially immediatly after boot up and often when I am using other programs.
I have checked my Autoexec.bat and config.sys and my start menu , but no luck there. It becomes irritating. I have tried all the settings , but can't seem to get rid of this. Bernard Welford

Jim B
26-10-2002, 10:41 AM
This problem is being reported a lot recently, have you done any updates to AV Windows or IE
Something seems to be causing an upsurge in reports of the nature and it would be good if we could narrow it down to something specific.

mashimaro
26-10-2002, 10:59 AM
It seems that u might have downloaded and installed some progs that u're not even awared of which it wants to connected to the internet as soon as it starts...

Happen just recently ? Did anyone install something recently on yr machine?

which version of windows u're using? in 98 and ME .. press Ctrl-Alt-Del once and see which tasks looks suspicious and in 2K & XP just use Task manager to see which process might have caused the problem ...

Also .. try running msconfig and see what things are started during start up ..

bwelford
26-10-2002, 11:49 AM
I am using IE 6 and yes , the amount of updates is so frequent , that I wonder every time whether they are needed because the 'critical updates' don't always have a ticked box for download.

bwelford
26-10-2002, 12:35 PM
I'm using window98se......I have checked in msconfig and found no references to internet connection or any mention of IE

tweak\'e
26-10-2002, 12:50 PM
>I have checked in msconfig and found no references to internet connection or any mention of IE

i doubt very much there will be a referencr to net connection or ie.

the odds are you have installed some spyware or other malicous crap. try adaware (make sure you get the latest update).(its mirrored at wwww.majorgeeks.com)

a firewall can help as it can id whats trying to access the net.

if you have the latest zonealarm firewall there seems to be a bug in it which causes your system to try to dail out.

if all esle fails post what you have in startup.

loser
26-10-2002, 01:10 PM
many programs (firewalls, chat clients, etc) have options to
1) load when windows starts
2) automatically check for updates.

before getting paranoid about spyware, check all the programs in your system tray, try turning off any of the above options...
also you could do selevtice startup using msconfig to identify which program is doing it....

bwelford
26-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Thankyou 'tweaks' and 'loser'....I had recently downloaded the update for ZoneAlarm......so I uninstalled it and presto...seems to have cured the problem (at the moment anyway). I will try installing the original & see what happens.....with the profusion of anti this and anti that , I'm not sure what is really necessary...I have Nortons Sytem Works 2001 and its Firewall with its automatic updates , so I remain unsure about such programs as 'Spamwatcher's various mailwashers etc.....all very confusing.

loser
26-10-2002, 02:51 PM
if you are using norton firewall you don't need zonealarm too... you should only use 1 firewall. personally i'd dump norton firewall and use something else.

as for what is necessary....
you really should have a firewall (most popular at the mo are tiny/kerio, zonealarm and outpost) , an anti-virus program (norton or the other free one that I can't remember right now), and probably lavasofts adaware. anything after those is a matter of taste and depends on what you use your computer for...
and also a backup routine in place incase anything slips though and mangles your PC.
that's my opinion ;)