PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen?

glenn
25-10-2002, 08:22 PM
I'm trying to figure out why this message window keeps popping-up on my friend's computer about a minute after he starts it:

No connection to the internet is currently available. To view internet content that has been saved on your computer, click work offline.

Apparently they had a couple housesitting, and while they were there downloaded and installed some programs. My friend said he uninstalled them but doesn't remember what they were.

First I checked what was in the start-up folder and pressed ctrl+alt+del to see what programs were running. Nothing looked out of place. I did a selective start-up in msconfig, removing all the checks. It still happened. I went throught the registry, searching for "run," runonce" and "runservices." nothing.

I did a search online and found some forums talking about this issue. Some offer the solution to select "never dial a connection" or to tick the "automatically detect settings" box in the LAN settings. I tried these and they didn't work.

I would really appreciate any help with resolving this. It's just a minor annoyance to them, but I'd like a chance to make them think I'm brilliant :)

Cheers

g

I checked the start-up screen in msconfig and couldn't find anything in it

glenn
25-10-2002, 08:25 PM
ummmm, please ignore that last sentence. my proof-reader stuffed it.

godfather
25-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Its possible that some spyware has installed its unwelcome self.

Run AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com (think thats right, if not google will find it)