PDA

View Full Version : Printing Label Problem

BrianH
25-10-2002, 09:13 PM
SOFTWARE USED : Win 98, Word 2000, and Works 2000 Database Mailing Labels using Mail Merge.

LABEL TYPE : Page A4(21 x 29.7 cm) 3 Across x 8 Down ( each label 37mm x 70mm)
0 Margin on top and sides and 0 margin between labels and lines.
Commercial types tried : Devauzet 7037, Rank Xerox 003R96227 or Custom ( with the same result)

LABEL LAYOUT: Title, Initials, Surname
Add1
Add2
Add3
Add4
Country

PRINTER: Canon 255SP using font Arial 10

PROBLEM: After merge when the label sheet grid is on view everything thing looks perfect. But when it is printed , the last printed line of the bottom row of labels is 27mm from the bottom edge of the sheet ( instead of about 9mm) and the country line is missing . Despite everyting appearing OK the printout does not fit the vertical grid of the labels sheet.
As I required the labels urgently I reinstated Works 4.5 and produced a perfect output of 24 labels per sheet.

QUESTION: How do I rectify the problem using Word & Works 2000 ???

Heather P
25-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Is your printer an ink jet? If so then it is possible the bottom row of labels falls within the non-printing area on the sheet.

Ink jets hold on to the piece of paper and once they let go they no longer print. Lasers have a larger print area. Labels are designed for lasers.

Remove the bottom row, fiddle, print on paper and hold up to the light over the example sheet till you get it right.

godfather
25-10-2002, 09:35 PM
I would say you are spot on Heather
The Canon he specified is an inkjet, so will not be capable of printing close to the bottom margin

mikebartnz
25-10-2002, 10:37 PM
The printer does not explain the problem as it printed alright when using the old software.

Heather P
25-10-2002, 10:43 PM
My experience of labels has been that they are a right pain to set up the first time or two. Once you've got it working (by fiddling, not reinstalling software) then you are away. But the feeling of wanting to throw something the first time is perfectly normal.

Check the page setup settings in the first program and see if you can duplicate them in the second.

Don't forget - newer software is far more "intellegent" than older software. Sometimes it won't let you do things "For your own good"

Pauline
25-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Hi Brian,
I too have to do mailing labels. I use Avery L7159 which is 24 per page. In the box it had a help sheet using Word. The most rows I use is 5 as I don't think I would get 6 as it looks like you are doing.
First Name Last Name
Add 1
Add 2
City
Country
I use Excel for my data base & Word 2002 for the merge which has a very helpful wizard. When you are choosing the label type do you get a drop down box where you can enter the label brand & code?
Pauline.

Pauline
25-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Hi Brian,
I too have to do mailing labels. I use Avery L7159 which is 24 per page. In the box it had a help sheet using Word. The most rows I use is 5 as I don't think I would get 6 as it looks like you are doing.
First Name Last Name
Add 1
Add 2
City
Country
I use Excel for my data base & Word 2002 for the merge which has a very helpful wizard. When you are choosing the label type do you get a drop down box where you can enter the label brand & code?
Pauline.

Pauline
25-10-2002, 11:03 PM
Hi Brian,
First Name Last Name
Add 1
Add 2
City
Country
Pauline.

Pauline
25-10-2002, 11:11 PM
So sorry about the triple post. I had just clicked Post Message when my screen went blue. I got it back & checked if it went through & it didn't seem to so I went to Post again & then got a Press f1 error page. I checked again & it still didn't seem to have gone through & before I could blink it had gone on 3 times.
Pauline.

BrianH
29-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Thanks Pauline. The problem is not the labels or the inkjet printer as I was able to get all 6 lines on the label using Works 4.5 . I have used them for a couple of years. The problem is that the distance between the top of the first line and the top of the next line should be 3.7cm and the new software only gives about 3.55cm so that as you get down to the bottom of the page the address gradually slips up out of the grid.

Susan B
29-10-2002, 08:17 PM
It's possibly something to do with a too-large "header" margin. Go into setup and make the Header 0 and adjust the top margin to what it should be from the top of the page to the top of the first label. If you need to adjust the top margin, that is.