PDA

View Full Version : CDRW problem - different model numbers...

Stormwarden
25-10-2002, 12:10 PM
I just purchased (via email order from dragonPC) an MSI DragonWriter 40x12x48x drive, which arrived today.

Upon opening the box, the first thing I noticed about the drive is that the front panel is completely different. Instead of a white panel with the MSI logo on it, and a fancy looking font, and round buttons, I have a generic looking beige square panel with square buttons and no logo whatsoever.

The model numbers are also different. I am supposed to have the MS-8340, but instead the drive model number is CW 4001.

Yes, I did buy the retail version and not an OEM one.

What I want to know is if the guy slipped in a cheapo generic drive instead of my more expensive brand one, or if this is normal practice.

Thanks in advance

CYaBro
25-10-2002, 12:17 PM
I have that drive in my PC (MS-8340) and it does have MSI logo and also speed ratings on the front panel.

Was bought in a retail box.

Sounds like you may have been ripped!

duckyduck
25-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Been a while since I was in NZ but unless the trading laws have changed, you should have been supplied with the make/model that you paid for. The store you bought it from do have the right to call you and advise that your requested model/make/colour/whatever is longer available and offer you something else which should have the same or betetr features.

I would suggest in the first instance you contact the store and ask for a explanation as to why you were supplied a different make and model. Maybe it is a simple case of incorrect shipping, maybe they have sold out and have replaced it with this one though they should have asked first.

If the model you have now is cheaper than the one you ordered this would bring up the issue of ethics as well.

Did you use a credit card to pay for the purchase, you might also have some recourse via Visa etc if the store does not want to play ball.

First off though, call and be polite, take it easy and see what progress you can make, if no progress then it could be time to look at other options.

Babe Ruth
25-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Stormwarden,
That writer is an Accesstek CW4001 CD writer and seems to have the same specs as the MSI. Your call on what you wish to do - politely of course.

Cheers, Babe.

Stormwarden
25-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Gee, I didn't expect to get a reply this fast... Wow!

This is my first time with CDRW's, I have been building/upgrading my own machine since a Dox/386 type, to my most recent, which I am still purchasing...

I have already sent a -polite- inquiry to the guy at DragonPC, but I probably wont get a reply until tomorrow or the day after.

The Purchase was made by direct deposit, but he did give me an invoice.

Mike
25-10-2002, 12:41 PM
>>> The Purchase was made by direct deposit, but he did give me an invoice.

If he gave you an invoice, what model does it say you got? If it says you got the one you ordered, then you can go back to them saying that it's not the one you got.

If the invoice says you got something else, you can in turn go back and tell them that that's not what you ordered, and they must supply the drive you ordered - and I think the law says that it has to look like the one you ordered too, so you can even just take them up on that.

But don't go in with guns blazing - take it quietly and politely, and you'll probably get everything fixed up in no time :)

Mike.

Stormwarden
25-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Looking at the invoice right now, it specifically quotes MS-8340.

Mike
25-10-2002, 12:58 PM
>>> Looking at the invoice right now, it specifically quotes MS-8340.

Well legally they have to supply what you ordered, and if they told you that's what you got, but you didn't, you can go back to them and ask for the product you ordered.

Mike.

Billy T
25-10-2002, 03:09 PM
One last point Stormwarden

The freight costs are on them, so ask them how they are going to arrange to get the wrong drive back to their shop. They can either provide a billing number for their courier company or enclose a prepaid ticket with the correct drive.

If it turns out you have a valid case, they can't expect you to pay more money to put right their mistake.

Don't leave it to default, actively ask the question. Recently I had a wrong part shipped from the US and got a validation number for Fedex to send it back. I also had some instrumentation repaired in Sweden and it came back still faulty. With a careful and polite approach they agreed to foot the bill for freight and insurance to get it back to them for further work.

Never let somebody else's problem become your problem by default. If you don't ask, you won't get, and it can be quite surprising how well things work out sometimes. Makes up for the times when it all turns to custard. :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Stormwarden
26-10-2002, 08:43 AM
I'm still waiting for a reply, probably get one on monday. Yes, I'll definitely ask him about the freight, but things still depend on whether this was just a stupid mistake, or whether he has actually run out of the type of drive that I want...

Mike
26-10-2002, 09:01 AM
>>> but things still depend on whether...

it doesn't depend on anything - you have a right to be notified, and they know that.

Mike.